none
FIM - AD sync

Question

• guys

i dont have any IDEA of FIM so dont mind if i am going to ask very basic. i have a client who is having his on premises AD and his Exchange 2007. now he wants to move his mail box accounts to hosted exchange cloud but with an option of AD sync. i am not very sure if FIM provides with this option . sync between his on premises AD and cloud AD where his mail boxes will be stored.

dont know if this is possible . if yes.. is this not called a single sign on also . becoz if client ad is syned with cloud AD then all the changes are also synced,  means any changes to client Ad will be replicated to cloud AD. correct me if i am wrong. ?

please guide if all this is possible then from where i can start and what would be my first step ...

MARK AS USEFUL/ANSWER IF IT DID

Thanks
    Happiness Always
    Jatin
    jatinder2jatin@yahoo.ca
    Monday, November 07, 2011 3:21 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Jatin,

So you are basically looking for a way to sync on-premise AD with cloud AD when the exchange has been moved to the cloud ?

My suggestion is that you have 1 management agent to On-premise AD and another management agent to cloud-based AD. I do not know which provider you are using and if you can use standard AD MA for this or if you will have to create a custom XMA based management agent to communicate with the cloud.

//Christian

www.Cortego.se

Friday, November 11, 2011 2:34 PM
  • My first question would be - who is a cloud provider? Is it O365 maybe - O365 have dedicated tool to synchronize AD there (DirSync) and also it can be handled with FIM as well. Carlo has some great posts on this

http://www.wapshere.com/missmiis/category/exchange/office-365

If it is other provider - as it was already said, it depends on the design

Friday, November 11, 2011 2:43 PM
  • My first question would be - who is a cloud provider? Is it O365 maybe - O365 have dedicated tool to synchronize AD there (DirSync) and also it can be handled with FIM as well. Carlo has some great posts on this

http://www.wapshere.com/missmiis/category/exchange/office-365

If it is other provider - as it was already said, it depends on the design

Thanks Tomasz for replying...

we are the service provider and the environment is hosted exchange 2010. and one more things if u can please clarify.. what exactly is ofic 365 from where i can get much info. we are spla partners but i dont think this is in my microsoft partner portal.

let me know if u have any queries .. i can discuss the design if need be ..

client is at one site. having windows 2008 AD and exchange 2007 on-premises.. he wants to move mail to our hosted exchange setup .. keeping his AD at his premises ... so any changes at his side should replicate to cloud Ad .. and he can get single sign on on .. domain and mail...

Let me know if u still have doubt

Thanks
    Happiness Always
    Jatin
    jatinder2jatin@yahoo.ca
    • Edited by 'Jatin' Friday, November 11, 2011 3:48 PM
    Friday, November 11, 2011 3:47 PM
  • Hi Jatin,

So you are basically looking for a way to sync on-premise AD with cloud AD when the exchange has been moved to the cloud ?

My suggestion is that you have 1 management agent to On-premise AD and another management agent to cloud-based AD. I do not know which provider you are using and if you can use standard AD MA for this or if you will have to create a custom XMA based management agent to communicate with the cloud.

//Christian

www.Cortego.se

you talked abut some management agent..but which one .. not able to find that... please advice

MARK AS USEFUL/ANSWER IF IT DID

Thanks
    Happiness Always
    Jatin
    jatinder2jatin@yahoo.ca
    Friday, November 11, 2011 3:49 PM
  • Hi

I do not have the whole picture of your needs.

If your customers Exchange is hosted online you might be able to use the Granfeldt Powershell management agent for remote powershell of the Exchange - add modify and delete. You must write powershell scripts for handeling each event. http://granfeldt.blogspot.com/2011/04/granfeldt-powershell-management-agent.html

If they are using Office 365 there will be a management agent with the FIM R2 release to handle users in the MS cloud.

//Christian

www.cortego.se

Thursday, December 01, 2011 12:39 PM
  • Wednesday, January 18, 2012 3:03 PM
  • Hi Jatin

Did you find your answer? We are looking to do exactly the same solution.We are the Hoster and looking for the best solution to synchronize the customers on premise AD with our multitenant AD. I have setup FIM 2010 and can do the basic AD DS sync to the the FIM Portal but I am not sure how sync with the customers AD. Do I need to install FIM on the customer premise at all?

Regards

Craig

Monday, February 06, 2012 12:22 PM