none
What exactly is the data size limit for the preview ???????

Question

• I have the gateway installed and working with various data sources (from SQL).

However, only the smallest of tables will import into Excel (when pulling from the organizational search).

The larger tables, pull for about a minute and then present the Excel error...
    The evaluation terminated unexpectedly.

I can actually see the network bandwidth abruptly stop on the gateway server when this error occurs so I can only imagine it has something to do with the size of the data.

Any input would be appreciated...

Thanks

Benjamin

Friday, September 27, 2013 7:27 PM

Answers

• Hi Benjamin,

Assuming you use OData, the as explained on other threads such as this one, this is not a limitation of the Data Management Gateway, but of Power Query. The team is actively working to resolve it and we expect to get it in production soon. 

Thanks,

Yair 

Monday, October 14, 2013 10:54 AM

All replies

• Hi Benjamin,

It would be very helpful for us to identify the reason if you can provide following information:

1. The detailed the excel error message

2. the event log of the gateway. You can get it by:

a, Open event viewer
    b, Go to Applications and Services Logs
    c, Go to Data Management Gateway

3. The data types of the SQL table you are trying to load.

for FYI, you may use following SQL to query the data types of the table:

select * from information_schema.columns
     where table_name = 'YouTableName'
    order by ordinal_position

4. The size of the table.
    Saturday, September 28, 2013 3:52 PM
  • What's the size of your table? how many rows & columns?
    Sunday, September 29, 2013 2:04 AM
  • Hi BenjaminYou may be running into this problem:

http://whitepages.unlimitedviz.com/2013/09/query-limit-with-power-bi-on-premises-data-gateway/

Right now, queries are limited to 100 MB.

John

Tuesday, October 01, 2013 1:01 AM
  • Thanks John,<o:p></o:p>

That was a helpful article and most probably what my issue was. For sure I am over the limit. Somewhat depressing. I am so enthusiastic about Power BI and the potential for pulling the data from the gateway via Office 365. Every time I start playing with it, I run into some snag. So much for preview exposure.<o:p></o:p>

For now, I am jumping back to my initial thought of using LightSwitch to create the various oData sources feeds and go director to Excel 2013. I really want to get our development and marketing team enthusiastic about the new BI capabilities in Excel 2013 team. I simply need to show something with real SupplyChain and ERP data (lots of data). I might even entertain the idea replicating the portal features of Office 365 PowerBI within a LightSwitch / ASP.Net app and dynamically generate the data source for download by Excel. This actually seems like an easier approach the trying to build out a good demonstration from the Preview.<o:p></o:p>

Benjamin

Tuesday, October 01, 2013 2:16 AM
  • From a demo perspective, I hear you. However, I fully expect that it will get sorted. Remember - this is just a preview, and changes seem to be happening quite quickly. I'm quite bullish on this product.

John

Tuesday, October 01, 2013 12:55 PM
  • Hi Benjamin,

Do you connect to the data source via SQL Server connection string or via OData ?

Thanks,

Yitzhak

Wednesday, October 09, 2013 6:55 PM
  • Hi Benjamin,

Assuming you use OData, the as explained on other threads such as this one, this is not a limitation of the Data Management Gateway, but of Power Query. The team is actively working to resolve it and we expect to get it in production soon. 

Thanks,

Yair 

Monday, October 14, 2013 10:54 AM
  • Hi Benjamin

I've been testing the latest version of the gateway, and the limit appears to have been removed. You may wish to try for yourself.

Cheers

John

Monday, November 18, 2013 12:48 AM