none
SBS 2008 and the usage of CAL's

Question

• Hi,

I have a SBS 2008. 6 laptops running a mix of Windows XP and Windows VISTA.

In SBS 2008 5 CALs are included and I bought one new package of 5 CALs due to that we have 6 users.

I am a bit confused about this with CALs, although I've read articles etc that explains it.

When I add a user in SBS 2008 is one CAL the being used and registered in some way?

If I add a user account, do I also have to add a computer account, but will that then consume 2 CALs?

Any CAL expert who can give me good understanding how this really works? I want to do the right thing and secure that I pay for what I use.

Sincerely,

Andreas

Saturday, December 18, 2010 9:12 AM

Answers

• HI Andreas:

SBS 2008 requires one User CALl for each User that authenticates to the server/domain reqardless of how the authentication is done.  From a station, from RWW, from 3389 RDC, VPN, does not matter.  The administrative account does not consume a CAL.

There is no mechanism to track the CALs or install Licenses or CALs in SBS 2008.  Strictly an honor system.  This sounds like a license to steal, but we all agreed to the EULA when we installed the product. 

Since you have 5 CALs with the base product and a 5 pack of add on CALs you are good for 10 users, each of which can connect from as many devices as they want and as many times as they wish unless restricted by policy enforced in the user properties.

There are also Device CALs, which are meant to allow multiple users to connect from the same device, such as a shop computer and shift workers that logon at different times to the same computer.

The SBS allows for two sessions to be made by admins to the Server for adminstrative purposes, but does not allow users to connect to run applications.  For that you need a Terminal Server, aka Remote Application Server.  SBS CALs cover the connections to additional servers in the same domain, but TS CALs are needed for running applications on the TS.

You can, and probably should, contact MS directly for licensing questions.  You can easily find the contact info by internet search.

Larry Struckmeyer

Please post the resolution to your issue so that everyone can benefit

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by ABodin Sunday, December 19, 2010 12:26 PM
    Saturday, December 18, 2010 2:06 PM

All replies

• HI Andreas:

SBS 2008 requires one User CALl for each User that authenticates to the server/domain reqardless of how the authentication is done.  From a station, from RWW, from 3389 RDC, VPN, does not matter.  The administrative account does not consume a CAL.

There is no mechanism to track the CALs or install Licenses or CALs in SBS 2008.  Strictly an honor system.  This sounds like a license to steal, but we all agreed to the EULA when we installed the product. 

Since you have 5 CALs with the base product and a 5 pack of add on CALs you are good for 10 users, each of which can connect from as many devices as they want and as many times as they wish unless restricted by policy enforced in the user properties.

There are also Device CALs, which are meant to allow multiple users to connect from the same device, such as a shop computer and shift workers that logon at different times to the same computer.

The SBS allows for two sessions to be made by admins to the Server for adminstrative purposes, but does not allow users to connect to run applications.  For that you need a Terminal Server, aka Remote Application Server.  SBS CALs cover the connections to additional servers in the same domain, but TS CALs are needed for running applications on the TS.

You can, and probably should, contact MS directly for licensing questions.  You can easily find the contact info by internet search.

Larry Struckmeyer

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by ABodin Sunday, December 19, 2010 12:26 PM
    Saturday, December 18, 2010 2:06 PM
  • Thank you Larry!
    Sunday, December 19, 2010 12:26 PM
  • Hi, Just wondering whether there is a mechanism in SBS 2008 to track the CALs or install Licenses or CALs for the Terminal Server - the TS CALs. You had mentioned that there is not, for the connection/authentication to the Server, but what about the Terminal Server? Are TS CALs separate entities from the Server CALs? In our case, we'd like to perform a 'dry run' of a TS setup, and before committing to the purchase of either the VPN hardware, or the licenses, we'd prefer to temporarily emulate, in a proof-of-concept approach, a production environment for multiple TS sessions. Will SBS 2008 allow this? Thanks
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 3:04 PM
  • Hi:

You need to post a separate thread for this question.  Tagging onto old threads is not good.

Larry Struckmeyer

Thursday, June 23, 2011 5:09 PM
  • My sincerest apologies for the faux pas. I'm a very rare forum poster, and was not aware of the proper etiquette. I have created a new thread. Thank you for your reply.
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 7:21 PM