none
Best practices to configure PowerPivot for SharePoint 2013 in an existing farm

Question

• Hi,

I've a SharePoint farm having two machines: the first one represents the wfe/app SharePoint server, the second one is the db server. I'd like to install the SSAS PowerPivot mode instance on the db server, but it seems that with the configuration tool of PowerPivot for SharePoint 2013 I need to install a local instance of PowerPivot and so this instance should be on the wfe/app server.

Moreover, is the best practice creating the site collection for PowerPivot by the configuration tool? Does the configuration tool allow to create a PowerPivot site with the PowerPivot gallery?

Thanks

Sunday, September 08, 2013 8:15 AM

Answers

• Hi pscorca,

Please refer to the following PowerPivot for SharePoint 2013 Two Server Deployment structure:
    SSAS PowerPivot Mode 2 Server Deployment

(1)

Excel Service Application. The service application is created as part of the SharePoint installation.

(2)

PowerPivot Service Application. Default name is Default PowerPivot Service Application.

(3)

RUN the spPowerPivot.msi to install data providers, the PowerPivot configuration tool, PowerPivot Gallery, and schedule data refresh.

(4)

An Analysis Services Server in SharePoint Mode. Configure the Excel Services Application Data Model Settings to use this server.

(5)

The SharePoint content, configuration, and service application databases.

For detail information, please refer to the article below:
    Install SQL Server BI Features with SharePoint 2013 (SQL Server 2012 SP1): http://technet.microsoft.com/EN-US/LIBRary/jj218795.aspx

The PowerPivot for SharePoint Configuration tool will not create the PowerPivot Gallery during the configuration, it automates all of the configuration steps that are described in the article below:
    Initial Configuration (PowerPivot for SharePoint): http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee210616

Best Regards,

Elvis Long
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 1:47 AM