none
Migrate SBS 2003 to Windows Server 2008R2

Question

• Hi Team, i Have a Question.

I have a SBS 2003 only for Active Directory, for reasons of user growth need migrate to Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition.

My question is, exist path for migrate my current Domain to Win2008 R2 or need install my domain of zero (New Domain).

I appreciate you support, Thanks.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 2:37 PM

Answers

All replies

• You may add the new Windows 2008 R2 to the current SBS domain as a domain controller.

Install DNS

Install Global Catalog, move FSMO roles.

You can then move all the applications : Exchange, Sharepoint, SQL and the Data

Once this is done, you'd need to uninstall Exchange from SBS 2003 and then demote it.

You cannot use this SBS 2003 server once demoted. If you need to use the hardware, you must format a non-SBS version of Windows on it.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 4:36 PM
  • Hi Vibha, thanks for you comments.

So, I do not need install a new domain again, if exist path for have same domain without installing everything again. Only install Win2008 R2 and promote with DC en same domain, move roles and GC, and uninstall SBS, is correct? Thanks,

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 5:09 PM
  • Yes that is correct.

Do remember that once you move the roles you violate the SBS EULA and the you get 21 days to complete the migration;

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 5:13 PM
  • Thanks Vibha. The idea is migrate a new server with Win2008R2 Std Edition and the same day despromote SBS.
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 6:03 PM
  • Last Question, just to be safe. Is Migration of SBS 2003 to Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition, no installing new version of SBS.
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 6:28 PM
  • Hi,

There is this really good article that describes all steps, it even includes exchange 2010, but because it is steps wise you can just skip the steps not useful for your environment. I have done this migration a couple of times and it works realy fine.

https://demazter.wordpress.com/2010/04/29/migrate-small-business-server-2003-to-exchange-2010-and-windows-2008-r2/

And why do you want to do it within one day, it would be wise to take your time and make sure replication have been finished before you remove the sbs server otherwise you will get into all kind of troubles when you remove the sbs server.

Also make sure you have a really good backup of the original server so you can go backup may anything fail. 

Regards Ronny
    -------------
    Visit my Blog or follow me on Twitter
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 6:41 PM
  • Hi Ronny, I can leave the server to replicate more days, not problem.

I thought there was no direct migration path SBS to Windows 2008R2 (not SBS).

I thought I had to install my domain again from scratch, and create all users, pcs to domain, etc, etc. Thanks for you help.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 8:30 PM
  • No you can just migrate from SBS to 2008 R2 fine, the process is relatively easy, follow the link in the previous comment and you will be just fine.
    Regards Ronny
    -------------
    Visit my Blog or follow me on Twitter
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 7:12 AM
  • Hi,

I would like to confirm what is the current situation? If there is anything that I can do for you, please do not hesitate to let me know, and I will be happy to help.

Regards,

Arthur Li

Forum Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact
    tnmff@microsoft.com.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, October 03, 2011 2:47 AM