none
Associate AppV 5.0 FTA with Workstation, not user.

Question

• Hi,

If I add or publish an AppV 5.0 app (using the Powershell method at startup, not via the MGMT console) without any DCC or DCU, FTA's are NOT associated.

If I add or publish an AppV 5.0 app, and during publishing I specify a DUC, FTA's are correctly associated...but only for the current user.  If I login with a different user, FTA's are lost.

If I add a package and specify a DCC, FTA's are not associated.

Since this exists in a XenApp environment, ideally the FTA's should apply to the computer, not to the user.  The 'workaround' is to use Content Redirection and let ICA handle FTA's, but the downside being, the Icon for all the differing FTA's will be the same.  For example, Excel .xls, .xlsx, .csv etc etc, will all have the same generic Excel icon.  Not a major problem, but more of an annoyance.

AppV 4.6 quite happily applied FTA's to the workstation, I don't understand why/how 5.0 has changed this behavior and is now making me rely on Citrix to do the FTA's.

Cheers

• Edited by ssvetec Tuesday, July 23, 2013 3:16 AM Added info
    Tuesday, July 23, 2013 3:15 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

What command-lines are you using to publish ? Most likely the -global is missing

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 8:15 AM
  • At the moment, ALL of my apps are added and published via Powershell with:

Add-AppVClientPackage -path \\path\app.appv | publish-AppVClientPackage -global

However, this doesn't register FTA's per workstation.  Adding/Publishing with:

Add-AppVClientPackage -path \\path\app.appv | publish-appvclientpackage -DynamicUserConfiguration \\path\config.xml registers FTA's, but only for the current user.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 11:13 AM
  • How about

Add-AppVClientPackage -path \\path\app.appv | publish-appvclientpackage -DynamicUserConfiguration \\path\config.xml -global

Falko

Twitter @kirk_tn   |  Blog kirxblog   |  Web kirx.org

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 5:28 AM
  • No, the client won't let me use the -global switch if a Dynamic User Config file is specified.  However, I can specify a Dynamic Deployment Configuration and use the -global switch, but there are no FTA's integrated.

In both Deployment and User Config.xml's, all of the FTA's sit in the <UserConfiguration> subsystems...if that information helps.

Another update:  Within the .appv package, I see AppXManifest.xml, which of course, is the 'default configuration' for the app.  In here, I also see the FTA's.
    • Edited by ssvetec Wednesday, July 24, 2013 7:22 AM More info
    Wednesday, July 24, 2013 6:48 AM
  • Hello,

What happens if you perform this on a Windows RDS server without Xenapp?

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 7:41 AM
  • Damn it....it works fine.

Damned Citrix.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 7:53 AM
  • Specifically, in my XenApp/App-V 4.6/5.0 environment, I documented by findings here:

http://stansvetec.blogspot.com.au/2013/11/xenapp-65-app-v-4650-and-ftas.html

Cheers

Regards,

Stan Svetec

Blog: http://stansvetec.blogspot.com  Twitter:   LinkedIn:

Thursday, November 21, 2013 11:31 PM
  • 

add-appv .. and the rest | publish-appvclientpackage -dynamicUserConfiguration \\path\config.xml | publish-appvclientpackage -global

Thursday, December 19, 2013 3:40 PM
  • My blog shows what the issue and fix was/is.  Regardless of the method used to add and publish an app - the stale AppV 4.6 FTA's refused to budge from the profile.

Since discovering this, FTA's work perfectly.

Cheers

Regards,

Stan Svetec

Blog: http://stansvetec.blogspot.com  Twitter:   LinkedIn:

Thursday, December 19, 2013 10:54 PM