none
can't join 2012 to existing domain

Question

• I have a windows 2012 server that can't join the existing domain.  I get an error that says "Can't find domain or it doesn't exist".  On the server manager page I noticed an even with an error of 1355.  I tried pinging the domain by usig the name itself. 
    Tuesday, October 08, 2013 11:44 AM

Answers

All replies

• check your dns and dhcp, you should have your dc as primary dns on the workstation, dhcp should also be installed on DC and the primary dns it's giving out should be the dc itself, on the dc you should have a static ip address and primary dns should be itself. NO external dns servers should be configured on DC, DHCP or the workstation, external dns go in forwarders on dns server config.
    • Proposed as answer by AsimPervaz Tuesday, October 08, 2013 2:03 PM
    Tuesday, October 08, 2013 12:02 PM
  • Hi,

Firstly, I recommend you check the log file at %SystemRoot%\debug\netsetup.log where the join process is logged, it would be able to point you in the right direction of the issue.

The join process usually tries to find a domain controller that already has a computer account for the computer that is currently being joined to the domain. If such a domain controller is not found, it tries to find another domain controller. Maybe it’s because the DC was not located for the specified domain. I would like to suggest you run nltest /dsgetdc:< domain-name > to query the DNS server for a list of DCs and their corresponding IP addresses. Then you can ping the DC’s IP address and FQDN to verify the connection between them.

In addition, you can also run Netdiag.exe and exam the output to determine the cause.

Best regards,

Susie

Wednesday, October 09, 2013 9:15 AM
  • Susie,

I did perform the nltest.  I can see the domain with .com at the end.  When I try to go through and change from workgroup to that very same domain with .com in it It can't find it.  When I take out the .com I get prompted for login info then I get a message that says the domain could not be found.

Wednesday, October 09, 2013 6:28 PM
  • Hi,

Firstly, I am  so sorry for replying so late now.

Can you ping the FQDN of the domain from the Windows server 2012 computer? If yes, maybe it is due to the DNS server or firewall. Please make sure that you have set the correct DNS IP address in the IPv4 properties and no firewall is blocking.

In addition, the thread below maybe helpful to you:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/748d88f5-8a9c-446d-8f08-322339ab6b24/cannot-add-windows-server-2012-as-member-server-to-existing-domain?forum=winserver8gen

Best regards,

Susie

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 1:59 AM