none
How do I transpose a complete table while or after pulling it into PowerPivot (excel 2010)

Question

• I have a table that i need transposed  I want to be able to do that in PowerPivot.  Is that possible to do it while pulling it in?
    I do not know the number of columns or the number of rows each time
    • Edited by GitaWork Friday, March 28, 2014 10:30 PM
    Friday, March 28, 2014 7:58 PM

Answers

• By transpose I assume that you mean that you want to switch the rows and columns. You cannot do this inside PowerPivot - you need to get the data in the correct format before loading it.

There are a couple of options for this that I can think of off the top of my head:

• You can do it manually if your table is in Excel (Excel has an option in Paste Special which will transpose a range of cells).
    • Or you could use Power Query which has an Unpivot operation.
    • Or you could do this with a series of UNION statements in SQL.

http://darren.gosbell.com - please mark correct answers

Saturday, March 29, 2014 8:33 PM

All replies

• If understand your question, try to save the file under another name to keep the Table Data
    Saturday, March 29, 2014 1:08 AM
  • Hi,

Your question is not clear.  Take Before/After examples.

Regards, Ashish Mathur Microsoft Excel MVP www.ashishmathur.com

Saturday, March 29, 2014 2:08 AM
  • By transpose I assume that you mean that you want to switch the rows and columns. You cannot do this inside PowerPivot - you need to get the data in the correct format before loading it.

There are a couple of options for this that I can think of off the top of my head:

• You can do it manually if your table is in Excel (Excel has an option in Paste Special which will transpose a range of cells).
    • Or you could use Power Query which has an Unpivot operation.
    • Or you could do this with a series of UNION statements in SQL.

http://darren.gosbell.com - please mark correct answers

Saturday, March 29, 2014 8:33 PM