none
Multiple Boot Images based on task sequence

Question

• So because we have around 450 Dell Gx520s with 512mb of ram in some of our labs, I am having to make a second set of boot images that is stripped down with nothing but what is needed for them. I am trying to figure out the easiest way to manage having two sets of boot images.

I want if I can to deploy all of my task sequences to all systems as it is easier then advertising to specific collections. What I have tried to do is use the default boot image and then specify under the specific task sequence to use the second non standard boot image hoping that it would run and see that it required that and then reboot and start the process using that boot image.

What is the best way for doing what I am trying to do?

Thursday, July 12, 2012 6:49 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Check out this previous discussion : http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/configmgrosd/thread/a7002849-38e3-4e00-8bb2-af52510bd8be/ SCCM 2012 works in the same way. the defualt boot image downloaded is the last advertised. So if you advertise a TS with the "light" boot image all clients will download it and start with it and if you have assigned another boot image to another TS that a computer should run it will download that boot image and restart with it and then start the TS.

Regards,

Jörgen

-- My System Center blog ccmexec.com -- Twitter @ccmexec

Thursday, July 12, 2012 7:14 PM
  • Is there a way to get it to auto restart after copying down the correct boot image?
    Thursday, July 12, 2012 8:24 PM
  • It will autostart, the task sequence has started so it will restart automatic
    Thursday, July 12, 2012 9:04 PM
  • I tried it and it popped up and told me to remove the cd and click finish to restart??? I clicked finish and it restarted and started the task sequence but I am trying to make that part happen automatically. I am using MDT Zero Touch images. The only difference is the scratch space.. The default boot image only has 32mb of scratch space(the smallest possible for these 450ish old machines) then my windows 7 images both use the second boot image with 128mb of scratch space..I just need the windows 7 boot image to auto restart when i choose that image and it downloads the correct boot image for it.
    Thursday, July 12, 2012 9:11 PM
  • Sorry it's me that's mixing up things.

You can make your deployment Requierd but i guess you don't want to do that.

An unsupported thing to do is to edit the tsmbootstrap.ini file in the boot image, change uattended=false to true.

Thursday, July 12, 2012 10:16 PM