none
Intel i210 and VLANs on Windows 8.1 x64

Question

• Hello,

I have Intel i210 NICs and I have a broadcom NIC.

The issue is that VLAN information from the i210 NICs doesn't seem to be making it through the Hyper-V switch but the broadcom NICs with the exact same configuration is working fine.

The strange part is that I can see VLAN tags using Wireshark leaving and coming into the NIC when I sniff it. The even stranger part is that I see both tagged and untagged packets when they should ALL be tags. Not sure if this is a result of the virtual switch or what but regardless I know the NIC is capable of sending and receiving the VLAN information.

I've installed the latest drivers and ensured that the MonitorMode registry key is there but nothing seems to be working.

I contacted Intel and they of course said "In this case, the recommendation is to continue your inquiry with Microsoft* support, as we know that the drivers work with no issues on Windows* 8.1 and your issue is  related with Hyper-V, which is a Microsoft* service"

I've tried to do this with a team and without a team. I've tried to use it without Intel ANS VLANs and I've tried to create a VLAN using the Intel ANS then use that as the adapter for the switch but neither has worked...

Tuesday, November 05, 2013 10:47 PM

Answers

• Hi MysticRyuujin,

I will really appreciate that if you post more information of that problem.

"The issue is that VLAN information from the i210 NICs doesn't seem to be making it through the Hyper-V switch " does it means the virtual switch can not pass the vlan data of VM  to physical switch ? Or the VMs connect to the virtual switch configured by i210 NIC ,bue they can not ping each other ?

If this is the case , please try to use Win 8.1 build-in driver for your i210 NIC and delete the Vswitch and rebuild one new .

Hope this helps.

Best Regards

Elton ji

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, November 08, 2013 2:38 PM
  • I agree with Elton - need more information about your configuration.  (BTW - this is the Forum for Hyper-V on the server platform.  http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=w8itprovirt is the Windows 8 virtualization forum.  But the switch works the same.)

What sort of virtual switches do you define for each NIC?  I am assuming External.  Did you make both of them to allow management operating system to share?  If so, did you specify a VLAN tag on each?  Are you talking about issues with the host not propogating VLAN information or VMs not propogating VLAN information?  If the VM, did you assign the VLAN to the VM's NIC?

For example, here is an external switch that is available for use by both the host and the guests.  Since I want the host to be able to communicate on this switch, I assign 10 as the VLAN tag.  This is done on the settings of the virtual switch.

Similarly, here are the settings for a VM using that switch.  Notice I have also set the VLAN to 10.  Host and guest can now communicate between themselves as well as to any other systems on the 10 VLAN.  This is set on the Virtual Machine settings for the NIC.

.:|:.:|:. tim

Friday, November 08, 2013 2:51 PM

All replies

• Hi MysticRyuujin,

I will really appreciate that if you post more information of that problem.

"The issue is that VLAN information from the i210 NICs doesn't seem to be making it through the Hyper-V switch " does it means the virtual switch can not pass the vlan data of VM  to physical switch ? Or the VMs connect to the virtual switch configured by i210 NIC ,bue they can not ping each other ?

If this is the case , please try to use Win 8.1 build-in driver for your i210 NIC and delete the Vswitch and rebuild one new .

Hope this helps.

Best Regards

Elton ji

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, November 08, 2013 2:38 PM
  • I agree with Elton - need more information about your configuration.  (BTW - this is the Forum for Hyper-V on the server platform.  http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=w8itprovirt is the Windows 8 virtualization forum.  But the switch works the same.)

What sort of virtual switches do you define for each NIC?  I am assuming External.  Did you make both of them to allow management operating system to share?  If so, did you specify a VLAN tag on each?  Are you talking about issues with the host not propogating VLAN information or VMs not propogating VLAN information?  If the VM, did you assign the VLAN to the VM's NIC?

For example, here is an external switch that is available for use by both the host and the guests.  Since I want the host to be able to communicate on this switch, I assign 10 as the VLAN tag.  This is done on the settings of the virtual switch.

Similarly, here are the settings for a VM using that switch.  Notice I have also set the VLAN to 10.  Host and guest can now communicate between themselves as well as to any other systems on the 10 VLAN.  This is set on the Virtual Machine settings for the NIC.

.:|:.:|:. tim

Friday, November 08, 2013 2:51 PM