none
Connection Filtering agent doesn't work

Question

• I have installed the Connection Filtering agent:

Install-TransportAgent -Name "Connection Filtering Agent" -TransportService FrontEnd -TransportAgentFactory "Microsoft.Exchange.Transport.Agent.ConnectionFiltering.ConnectionFilteringAgentFactory" -AssemblyPath "C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\TransportRoles\agents\Hygiene\Microsoft.Exchange.Transport.Agent.Hygiene.dll"

Add-IPBlockListProvider -Name zen.spamhaus.org -LookupDomain zen.spamhaus.org -AnyMatch $true -Enabled $true

Enable-TransportAgent -TransportService FrontEnd -Identity "Connection Filtering Agent"

Restart-Service MSExchangeFrontEndTransport

After this, it doesn't work. Email from ip addresses marked as blacklisted (as can be seen by test-ipblocklistprovider) aren't blocked. Besides, no logging is created in “C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\TransportRoles\Logs\FrontEnd\AgentLog”

Get-AgentLog -TransportService Frontend gives a warning: WARNING: An unexpected error has occurred and a Watson dump is being generated: Index (zero based) must be greater than or equal to zero and less than the size of the argument list.

Specified cast is not valid. 

You know you're an engineer when you have no life and can prove it mathematically

Thursday, September 12, 2013 12:48 PM

All replies

• Hello,

I recommend you restart the Front End Transport Service to check the result.

Here is the similar thread for your reference. (Note: Though it refers to exchange 2007/2010, I consider it also applies to exchange 2013)

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/b61db6da-c6a1-43f1-ba2d-d9c14ae9f7af/after-installing-rollup-4-for-exchange-2010-some-users-cant-login 

If you use exchange 2013 CU1, I recommend you install exchange 2013 CU2.

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Cara Chen
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, September 13, 2013 5:27 AM
  • Hi Stephan,
    Did you get the instructions from Lasse Petterssons blog post RBL and Exchange 2013 ?
    If so, I wonder if you followed his suggested written in the comments about running the commands using local powershell instead of remote powershell.

Martina Miskovic

Friday, September 13, 2013 5:50 AM
  • Hello,

Is there any update?

Cara Chen

Monday, September 16, 2013 1:52 AM
  • Restart of the service doesn't help. All cmdlets are executed remotely and locally. It simply doesn't work.

You know you're an engineer when you have no life and can prove it mathematically

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 9:43 AM
  • Hello,

I recommend you use get-serverhealth cmdlet to return health information related to the server you specify.

Here is a article for your reference.

Get-ServerHealth

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj218703(v=exchg.150).aspx

Please check if there is any related error in application log.

Have you tried to install exchange 2013 CU2?

Cara Chen

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 7:46 AM
  • Hi Cara,

Thanks for your reply.

We are running CU2 for a week now and no working anti-spam still...

Get-Serverhealt gives:

Server          State           Name                 TargetResource       HealthSetName   AlertValue ServerComp
                                                                                                         onent
    ------          -----           ----                 --------------       -------------   ---------- ----------
    <Servername> NotApplicable   PrivateWorkingSet... microsoft.exchang... AntiSpam        Healthy    None
    <Servername> NotApplicable   ProcessProcessorT... microsoft.exchang... AntiSpam        Healthy    None
    <Servername> NotApplicable   ExchangeCrashEven... microsoft.exchang... AntiSpam        Healthy    None

(And healthset Frontendtransport also shows everything healthy).

The application log doesn't show relevant errors or warnings.

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 9:35 AM
  • Hello,

Sorry for delayed response.

From your test result, the server and services are ok.

Because there is no related logs, we hardly find the reason. I recommend you try to reinstall transport agent to check if the issue persists.

Cara Chen

Monday, September 23, 2013 1:08 AM