none
Out of Disk Space error

Question

• I installed Server 2008 R2 w/SP1 on a server and was able to capture an image of it with no problems. I planned to use this image on other servers in our corporation of the exact same make/model, which is why I didn't create the image ona VM. A few days later, I needed to install the Microsoft Forefront client so that all the servers that are deployed with this image already contain the client.

However, now when I try to capture an image, I get an Not enough disk space error. I run the LiteTouch.vbs file from the MDT server network share. I choose the Sysprep and Capture TS that I had used the first time. It gets to the point where it says "Apply Windows PE". That flashes quickly then about 30 seconds later, I get the red error screen. The error says "ZTI ERROR - Unhandled error returned by LTIApply:  (-2147024784  0x80070070) Litetouch deployment failed, Return Code = -2147467259  0x80004005".

I have only seen one or two other people with the same issue and neither of their posts have an answer and are several months old. Would this error be cause by Forefront being installed? Other than a few Windows Updates being installed, that literally is the only thing that has changed. The MDT server had Forefront installed as well.

I tried creating a new TS, importing the OS again, creating the TS in another Deployment Share. Nothing seems to help. I do see see in the logs that it tries to copy the LiteTouchPE_x64.wim file to D:\sources\boot.wim. I'm not sure where this "D:" drive is supposed to be, but it is not on either server. Also, there is 15GB+ free drive space on the server I am capturing the image from (30GB partition) and 600GB+ free on the MDT server.

I checked in the smsts.log file and this is the entry of the failure:

![LOG[Failed to run the action: Apply Windows PE.
    There is not enough space on the disk. (Error: 80070070; Source: Windows)]LOG]!><time="15:25:34.078+240" date="04-16-2011" component="TSManager" context="" type="3" thread="2680" file="instruction.cxx:3101">
    <![LOG[Sending status message . . .]LOG]!><time="15:25:34.078+240" date="04-16-2011" component="TSManager" context="" type="1" thread="2680" file="utility.cxx:292">

I've captured desktop images many times, but have never had this error before. This is only the second time capturing a server image. I should also mention that I did make sure the server was in Audit mode. Like I said before, I was able to sucessfully capture an image from this server once, but not a second time. 

Any help or suggestions would be very appriciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Saturday, April 16, 2011 9:13 PM

Answers

• I figured out what the problem was, but not sure why I didn't get the error the first time I captured the image. The TS was trying to copy the WinPE.wim file to 100MB System Partition, which was called D:. After I deleted it and reran the Capture TS, it worked fine. I hope this will help someone else if they have the same problem.
    • Marked as answer by mtarggart Saturday, April 30, 2011 11:36 AM
    Saturday, April 16, 2011 9:46 PM

All replies

• I figured out what the problem was, but not sure why I didn't get the error the first time I captured the image. The TS was trying to copy the WinPE.wim file to 100MB System Partition, which was called D:. After I deleted it and reran the Capture TS, it worked fine. I hope this will help someone else if they have the same problem.
    • Marked as answer by mtarggart Saturday, April 30, 2011 11:36 AM
    Saturday, April 16, 2011 9:46 PM
  • MT,

Thank you, thank you!!!

It's always easier to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 12:12 PM
  • I agree!!   Thanks for posting as I had the same issue
    Wednesday, August 03, 2011 12:15 AM
  • Another thanks for posting how you sorted it.

I had to delete the partition using some boot disc and then used a windows installation disc to repair windows to make it boot.

after that i could capture it again.

• Edited by The Bungalow Tuesday, September 20, 2011 8:50 AM
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 8:16 AM
  • Great job!

2 Questions:

-Do you not need the System Partition? As I understand, the boot files are in it and required.

-If you had no prpblems deleting, how did you delete the Sys Part?

Thank you so much!

Shah

Tuesday, November 08, 2011 11:43 PM
  • MT-

How did you manage to delete the boot partition of W7?

Thanks!

Amy

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 4:38 AM
  • I had same problem when i tried to capture Win7 image, my winpe boot image is around 170MB and it fails when task sequence tries to put it on system partition.. so for now, every time when im preparing win7 image, i make sure to create 300mb system partition and then it works fine (if you load it from dvd and press 'New' under disk tools it will create 100mb partition, just delete primary partition and expand that 100mb to 300 and recreate primary for the rest, continue install).
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 8:46 PM
  • We have confirmed that this is a problem in MDT 2010 Update 1 and MDT 2012 Beta 2:  We try to stick the LiteTouchPE_<platform>.wim file into a partition which may be too small. 

If you would have deployed the OS using an MDT standard client task sequence, we would create a 300MB partition, which is big enough.  But if you just do a manual install from original Windows 7 media, you only get a 100MB partition, which isn't big enough.

We have fixed this for MDT 2012 RC:  If the boot partition isn't big enough, we'll put the boot image on the OS partition and point the BCD to that instead.

The workarounds suggested above will work in the short term:

• Manually partition the disk to either create only a single partition or to create a bigger boot partition.
    • Make the OS partiton active, run BCDBOOT to set up the boot files on the OS partition, reboot, and then delete the old boot partition.

Sorry for the troubles.

Thanks, -Michael Niehaus Senior Program Manager, Microsoft Deployment Toolkit mniehaus@microsoft.com http://blogs.technet.com/mniehaus
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 9:31 PM
  • We have fixed this for MDT 2012 RC:  If the boot partition isn't big enough, we'll put the boot image on the OS partition and point the BCD to that instead.

I'm currently running RC1 and received the exact same "ZTI ERROR - Unhandled error returned by LTIApply:  (-2147024784  0x80070070) Litetouch deployment failed, Return Code = -2147467259  0x80004005" error.

If it matters, we currently have the LiteTouchPE_x86.iso around 737MB (757,864KB), as it uses the EVERYTHING selection profile.

Current CS.ini is:

[Settings]
    Priority=Default
    Properties=MyCustomProperty

[Default]
    _SMSTSORGNAME=Office - Windows 7 Capture
    OSInstall=Y
    SkipWizard=YES
    UserID=set properly
    UserDomain=set properly
    UserPassword=set properly
    EventService=http://mycomputer:9800
    DoCapture=YES
    BackupShare=\\mycomputer\MDT$
    BackupDir=Captures
    BuildID=CAPW7SP1X86
    BackupFile=CAPW7SP1X86v1.wim
    ComputerBackupLocation=NETWORK
    JoinWorkgroup=Workgroup

• Edited by VulturEMaN Friday, March 16, 2012 9:28 PM
    Friday, March 16, 2012 9:26 PM
  • I am running MDT 2012 update 1 and I have this exact same issue.  winpe is being installed to the system partition, which of course isn't large enough.
    Monday, August 26, 2013 9:43 PM
  • I am also running into the same issue with MDT 2012 update 1. So I guess something is still missing in MDT 2012 Update 1. 

Can you please advise if there is any recommended fix other than the workarounds?

Thanks,

SinghP80

Thursday, October 03, 2013 3:55 PM
  • Please copy your bdd.log file to a public share like SkyDrive, and post the link here.

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Thursday, October 03, 2013 10:47 PM