none
Server 2012 Product Keys/Activation

Question

• I have had my technet sub for many years and put up with the reduction in keys because i tend to install the Windows 2008 R2 without a key and do my testing / learning with the nag messages. But i went to install Windows 2012 and found that it requires a key each time i install it. Now i know i can use eval copies of the software but i tend to leave machines running for months while i am reading and learning. Is it time i ditched the subscribtion and use eval copies? How many activations will i get before i run out?

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 12:02 AM

Answers

• Windows Server 2012 comes in many editions bundled into a single download like Windows Vista and Windows 8 versions and, like those, the product key used to install is what determines which edition is installed.  I believe that product key activation is a separate step during the Windows Server installation, as it has been in other Windows installations, but this isn't really the forum and I'm definitely not the expert to confirm that :) 

I believe its possible for you to use a key to complete the installation, but not consume an activation on it, but you should confirm in a Windows isntallation forum.

Thanks,
    Mike

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Read the Subscriptions Blog!

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 4:29 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Anybody know?

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Tuesday, November 06, 2012 7:03 PM
  • Aaron, do you think your case is related to this? It might lead to a solution.

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Friday, November 09, 2012 6:47 PM
  • Windows Server 2012 comes in many editions bundled into a single download like Windows Vista and Windows 8 versions and, like those, the product key used to install is what determines which edition is installed.  I believe that product key activation is a separate step during the Windows Server installation, as it has been in other Windows installations, but this isn't really the forum and I'm definitely not the expert to confirm that :) 

I believe its possible for you to use a key to complete the installation, but not consume an activation on it, but you should confirm in a Windows isntallation forum.

Thanks,
    Mike

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Read the Subscriptions Blog!

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 4:29 PM
    Owner