none
Exchange Server Recommendation on Roles

Question

• Hi,

I have been totally out of the loop from the Exchange world in the past 5+ years. I was drawing up a solution for a costumer that currently has 750 Mbx but is planning growth to 2000 Mbx within the next 2 years. So we need to build this solution for 2000 Mbx. I have the choice to deploy exchange 2013 or 2010 on Windows 2008R2 (no money for upgrading windows CAL) . I most probably will be going with 2010 for now, dont see many advantages to go 2013. 

I am thinking of installing for this setup 2 CAS Servers and 2 Mailbox Servers for this setup. This will give them the redundancy required and growth for future needs. This will also be virtualized. My question is what do you guys think about this setup. 

Do you believe this is overkill? 

Do you believe I should jump to 2013, if BES 5 is supported? 

Any insight would be great,

Thank you,

G.

George S.

Friday, December 06, 2013 11:07 PM

All replies

• Hi

Are you looking at creating a DAG? BES 5 i dont think is supported on Exchange 2013. It is your choice but personally i would stick with 2010 until 2013 bugs have been ironed out completely. hopefully with SP1 releasing next year Exchange 2013 will then stabaliza.

I know at one point MS recommended splitting roles but then went back and said to combine them. With your amount of MBX i suggest creating multiple DB's and having enough memory, CPU allocated.

Sunday, December 08, 2013 3:35 PM
  • So you would recommend installing exchange 2010 with MBX and CAS together? Wouldn't you said for security reason at least separate CAS and MBX due that CAS is exposed to the internet?

George S.

Monday, December 09, 2013 2:08 PM
  • Hi George,

What do you mean by CAS is exposed to internet? Are you planning to have Exchange 2010 (CAS, HT and MB) on the same server and expose the HT to the internet? Either way - there are no issues as long as you have the ports and MS recommendations perfectly followed.

I can provide my thoughts on this setup and see if that helps you. If I was you, below is what I would do -

User Message Profile: 100 messages  per day- 75kb per msg (80 recd. and 20 sent)
    Mailbox Quota: 1 GB per mailbox
    # of mailboxes: 2000 (with growht)
    Servers virtualized
    # of server: 2 CAS, 2 MB

I would combine all roles on each box and have more roles for the entire org and not limit just 2 CAS and/or  2HT roles. If you combine, you have more roles and easy to manage the servers. your setup really depends on the hardware that you are choosing, processors models (SPEC values), memory and CPU.

With all roles combined, you can make justice to the server resources (CPU and Memory) and not be an overkill.

just my 2 cents.

Regards.

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. Regards, Siva

Monday, December 09, 2013 10:23 PM
  • So you would recommend 2 servers with all the roles on the same server without separating CAS and mailbox?

George S.

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 2:00 PM
  • Are you planning for a DAG? You dont need to separate the roles unless it is required for your company. Again, since you are all virtual, you should really keep a close watch on your hardware behind the virtual and be cognizant. Always, as a best practice, leave a breathing room for small growth in either user message profile or quota or # of mailboxes.

For a 2000 mailbox organization, with DAG, I would do 3 servers (all roles). 2 GB mailbox quota/200 mailboxes per DB/10 DB's in DAG. Reason for 3 servers - DAG Cluster mode can be NodeMajority, Load distribution and make use of DAG.

Now, if I dont want to use DAG's and have a smaller quota, I would do 2 servers (all roles). 1 GB mailbox quota/400 mailboxes per DB/5 DB's in the Exch Org.

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. Regards, Siva

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 2:57 PM
  • I was planning to deploy 2 servers with 2 DB (each) and 2DAG DB (each), limitation of 5 DB with Standard version and while they grow they just need to add more MAILBOX ROLES in the backend.

I understand putting all the roles together but seems that MS is still recommending dividing MAILBOX and CAS servers.

http://howexchangeworks.com/2012/10/exchange-2013-architecture.html

What do you think?

George S.

Friday, December 13, 2013 3:42 PM