none
Native boot windows 7 ultimate on VHDX

Question

• Hi

I have been searching around for this but there's seems to be no answer and so I hope Microsoft tech support can help me answer this.

I have a PC which I want to dual boot windows 7 Ultimate and windows 8.1 Professional, both on vhdx.

First I installed windows 7 ultimate onto a VHD and it is able to boot natively.

I then install windows 8.1 professional onto a VHDX and now it can dual boot both win7 and win8.1 natively (vhd and vhdx respectively) with win8 boot menu.

Then I boot into win7 and installed kb980218 (to support 4096 disk), and converted the image from vhd to vhdx and set the physicalsize to 4096.

Next the boot entry has been amended and point to this new win7 vhdx.

However when I try to boot into this new win7 vhdx, it doesn't boot up and instead goes into recovery mode, the error is "boot configuration is corrupt" when trying to repair it. FYI, booting into win8 vhdx still works fine.

My question is given the system partition boot environment is windows 8.1 as in this case (requirement of native boot), can you natively boot windows 7 in vhdx????? If so how to make this work? (there should be no difference to the guest OS whether its' a vhd or vhdx and so given the boot environment is windows 8, my guess is it should work)

And if not, can windows 7 install in vhdx and run inside a virtual machine (e.g., with Host OS as windows 8)

Thank you.

John

Sunday, March 02, 2014 9:51 AM

Answers

• >If so how to make this work? (there should be no difference to the guest OS whether its' a vhd or vhdx and so given the boot environment is windows 8, my guess is it should work)

I've never tried this and not likely to, but the base OS definitely needs
    to know how to access a VHDX and since Windows 7 predates VHDX, I suspect
    it can't be done. 

Once the Windows 8 boot loader passes the running off to Windows 7, it's
    got to have a driver to access the disk, and it doesn't.

It's basically the same problem as trying to dual boot Windows XP in a
    VHD...

Bob Comer Microsoft MVP -- Hyper-V
    • Marked as answer by johnkylam Monday, March 03, 2014 1:21 AM
    Sunday, March 02, 2014 1:48 PM