none
Send Email to group not working

    Question

  • Using MOSS 2007 SP1, I am creating a SPD workflow and one of the actions is a Email action.

    If I have it send the e-mail to my email address, it works.

    I created an Active Directory security group and put myself in the group.

    If I have it send the email to the Active Directory group, which appears in the lookup list for the To: field, I do not get the e-mail.  There are no errors in the logs.

    I created a Sharepoint Group and put myself in the group.

    if I have it send the email to the Sharepoint Group, which appears in the lookup list for the To: field, I do not get the e-mail.  There are no errors in the logs.

    Why wouldn't the e-mails to the groups work?  Both of those methods should work, shouldn't they?
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 5:04 PM

Answers

  •  

    Hello,

     

               If you are integrating your MOSS with Exchange server 2007 to send out-going email then please try the following steps to fix your problem:

     

    1.       Go to Exchange Management Console -> Recipient Configuration -> Distribution group.

    2.       Right-click on the problem group and choose properties.

    3.       On the Mail Flow Settings tab, double click on Message Delivery Restrictions.

    4.       Uncheck the check box "Require that all senders are authenticated".

     

             Have a try and see the effect.

             Hope it can help you,

             Jerry


    Xing-Bing Yu
    Tuesday, December 23, 2008 2:06 AM

All replies

  • Yes, those both should work, and I currently use both in a current SPD workflow that runs off a custom InfoPath form.  Add a "log to history" action in your workflow after the email actions to ensure that action is occurring.  When choosing an email-enabled security group, it sends the email to the group itself, which of course propagates to everyone added to that group in AD.  When sending to a SharePoint group, it parses out the members and adds each one to the To: line.  I have both methods working live in a custom automated e-form process at my client, so there has to be something getting in the way.
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 8:24 PM
  • The workflow action is definitely running because it updates a field in the list before it sends the email, and the list gets updated.

    I did find one thing - when I created the Sharepoint group, I did not grant it any permissions on the site where the list resided, so I gave the SP group contribute rights to the list.  Then e-mails did start going out to the people in the list.

    I really don't want to manage the list of people in the group in Sharepoint though.  I tried including only the AD group as a member of the SP group, but then I was back to getting no email.  I thought perhaps Sharepoint would expand the group into its members and send out emails to those individuals, but I guess it doesn't do that - it is sending out the e-mail to the AD group's email address.

    And I suspect the root of the problem is that the e-mail address of the AD group is not working.
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 9:16 PM
  • Well, in this case you may be right, but just because the action to update a list item is working, it doesn't mean the email action is working.  Those are two separate actions, and I was talking about logging a comment to the history list after EACH action.  That's the only way to find out exactly where a workflow is breaking in some cases.  It can easily perform the first action and either skip or fail on the second action.

    Anyway, did you verify that the Security Group was actually assigned an email address? 
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 11:08 PM
  •  

    Hello,

     

               If you are integrating your MOSS with Exchange server 2007 to send out-going email then please try the following steps to fix your problem:

     

    1.       Go to Exchange Management Console -> Recipient Configuration -> Distribution group.

    2.       Right-click on the problem group and choose properties.

    3.       On the Mail Flow Settings tab, double click on Message Delivery Restrictions.

    4.       Uncheck the check box "Require that all senders are authenticated".

     

             Have a try and see the effect.

             Hope it can help you,

             Jerry


    Xing-Bing Yu
    Tuesday, December 23, 2008 2:06 AM