none
Missing Doc Types in 'New' Context Menu of Explorer in Admin2 Profile

Question

• When log on as the built-in Admin of Server 2008 R2, all is well.  The problem is with the alternate Admin account.  It's missing all the file types in the 'New' Context Menu of Explorer.  I've checked the HKCR registry and see that .txt and others have correct ShellNew entries.

I'm not missing the context menu.  I'm not missing the 'New' menu item.  Under 'New' I see 'Folder', but nothing else.  I can create a new folder using the Context Menu.

One problem may be that I first used the alternate admin account to logon with MSTSC.  When I log out from the remote session, and logon to the console directly, I see the same problem.

Why are the doc types\file types\apps missing from the 'New' Context Menu of Explorer?  Thanks for your advice.

Beware of unmoderated moderators in the Expression Web forums.

Friday, September 20, 2013 8:54 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Change policy settings is actually recommended as it is better than directly changing UAC level. 

As UAC will work, I think it is caused by permission. You could have a try to create a new folder, with only Administrators group has permission to create new file. If issue occurs, try to give a non-admin group (with the test account included) same permission on this folder and see if issue still exists.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 26, 2013 7:50 AM
  • Sorry for the confusion.

They are the same thing. Actually I mean the policy you tried is a recommended step so you do not need to worry about it. 

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 07, 2013 7:54 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I think it related to permission. 

Whether UAC is enabled? Test to disable it and see the result.

Also please test to create a new folder, give Everyone - Full Control permission on this folder and see if you could see the correct context menu in this folder.

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 6:04 AM
  • Here are some experiments that might tell us more about the problem.

I deleted the Admin2 account and created a new one with the same name by copying the primary Admin account.  Then my first logon was to the domain controller.  I saw the same problem.

Next I created an Admin3 account with a name that had never been used.  I saw the same problem.

Next I logged on to a Win7 workstation on the network with Admin2.  The problem did not exist.

Next I logged on to a Win7 workstation in Hyper-V.  I saw the same problem.

The problem exists on my Hyper-V VMs, but not on the normal workstations.

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 5:30 PM
  • When the Everyone account is added with Full Control to a folder, my Admin2 account is able to see all the normal items of the 'New' selection of File Explorer's Context Menu.

I haven't experimented with UAC on my Servers.  Can you walk me through a safe experiment?  thanks for your help.

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 6:08 PM
  • I disabled 'UAC: Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode'.  Now I have access to all the normal context menu items under 'New'.

Is this really what I want to do?  Is there a lesser setting?

Thanks again for your help.

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 10:57 PM
  • Hi,

Change policy settings is actually recommended as it is better than directly changing UAC level. 

As UAC will work, I think it is caused by permission. You could have a try to create a new folder, with only Administrators group has permission to create new file. If issue occurs, try to give a non-admin group (with the test account included) same permission on this folder and see if issue still exists.

Thursday, September 26, 2013 7:50 AM
  • Shaon, What is the difference between your suggestion to "Change policy settings" and changing the security policy setting as I did by a disable of 'UAC: Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode'?

I think I like what you're telling me about an alternative to turning off UAC, but I don't understand.  Thanks again for your help.

Thursday, September 26, 2013 5:10 PM
  • Is there an alternative to turning off UAC with 'UAC: Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode'?

Monday, September 30, 2013 9:03 PM
  • Sorry for the confusion.

They are the same thing. Actually I mean the policy you tried is a recommended step so you do not need to worry about it. 

Monday, October 07, 2013 7:54 AM