none
Fatal Error: The object identifier does not represent a valid object. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800710D8)

Answers

•  - I installed MS SQL Server 2014 Express with Tools

And I believe we've found the last relevant issue.

SQL Server 2014 is not (yet) a supported database platform for use with WSUS.

Furthermore, no Express Edition instance should ever be used with WSUS. The Windows Server platform provides the Windows Internal Database for use with WSUS. It is the optimal solution for almost every WSUS Server.

Now, as for the remainder of the situations...

• Removing the Windows Server 2003 DC without migrating the FSMO roles to the Windows Server 2012 server has left you with a partially dysfunctional Active Directory environment.
    • Installing Active Directory Domain Services AND the Web Server role at the same time may have been problematic.
    • WSUS and ADDS do not coexist well because of policy restrictions in place on the use of local accounts to run services. You'll need to modify the Local Security Policy to allow the necessary local service accounts to run services. This issue is discussed in several threads in this forum over the past year.

How to remediate this?

1. First, I think you need to strip WSUS, the Web Server Role, and SQL Server from the 2012DC. Uninstalling WSUS on a WS2012 system is particularly problematic and tedious as well, so search the forum for any one of the dozens of threads that describe the various issues other admins have had with that task.
    2. Then you'll need to repair Active Directory Domain Services. You'll need to seize the FSMO roles, and since this is now your only DC, you should probably elevate the forest and domain functional levels.
    3. If you want/need to run WSUS on the Domain Controller, you'll need to make the necessary Local Security Policy changes to facilitate that.
    4. Finally, reinstall the WSUS Role, allow WSUS to install the Web Server role and the Windows Internal Database, so that you get the right infrastructure suited to supporting a WSUS server.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCSA, MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2014)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.microsoft.com/en-us/mvp/Lawrence%20R%20Garvin-32101
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Tuesday, May 06, 2014 9:42 PM

All replies

• Truly, the reason that IIS.NET bounced your question back over here is likely because of the lame way in which you asked the question. You tell 'em you have a problem starting WSUS, and yeah.. they're going to kick you out.

Go back and tell them that you have an *IIS* problem and leave the web application out of the discussion and you'll get a different response.

OR.... you could provide some detailed background information about your WSUS installation here.

• What Operating System?
    • HOW did you install the Web Server role?
    • What ELSE is installed on this server?

Also, did you look at the blog post that Daniel recommended. That blog post suggests that the error is caused when IIS is misconfigured (thus my question about how IIS got installed).

SolarWinds Head Geek
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Tuesday, May 06, 2014 5:11 PM
  • Mr. Personality,

First, I don't appreciate your response.  You don't know me from Adam nor I you.

I only went to IIS.net because someone here said to.  I do not know where the problem lies, that is why I am on these forums.

So you are telling me to go back to IIS.net even though the questions you asked me have not been answered.

This is the first time I have attempted to use WSUS.

This network had a Server 2003 DC. I added a Server 2012. I demoted the 2003 DC and it is completely offline.

Thanks for your unhelp

Tuesday, May 06, 2014 5:27 PM
  • I only went to IIS.net because someone here said to.

I read that thread. They told you to go to IIS.NET because you had an *IIS* problem. That wasn't a speculative answer, it was an educated response based on the actual error code you provided.

But then, you didn't ask about an IIS problem at IIS.NET, you asked about a WSUS problem which promptly resulted in a suggestion to come back here. Not a very helpful suggestion, I admit, but consistent with the question asked.

Ask good questions; you get good answers. Ask bad questions; you get useless answers.

So you are telling me to go back to IIS.net even though the questions you asked me have not been answered.

I'm saying that I agree with the previous response that this is an *IIS* problem, and the best place to get help with that *IIS* problem is at IIS.NET, but only if you go there and discuss an *IIS* problem.

This is the first time I have attempted to use WSUS.

This network had a Server 2003 DC. I added a Server 2012. I demoted the 2003 DC and it is completely offline.

Okay. Nice to know. Can you answer the questions I asked? Because what you just described here sounds particularly disturbing.

What I'm reading is this:

1. The network had one server. A Domain Controller running Windows Server 2003.
    2. Then you added a Windows Server 2012 system. Presumably this is the system you installed WSUS onto. Is this Windows Server 2012 system also a Domain Controller? If so, there's one well-known fatal problem covered.
    3. Then you took the Windows Server 2003 Domain Controller offline. If the Windows Server 2012 system is not a domain controller, but was made a member of the domain, that would identify a second fatal consideration. And even if the 2012 system is a DC, merely taking the Windows Server 2003 DC offline probably created yet another set of fatal problems.

The other unanswered questions:

• How *exactly* did you install WSUS on the Windows Server 2012 system and
    • Is WSUS the *only* thing running on that server?

SolarWinds Head Geek

Tuesday, May 06, 2014 6:57 PM
  • •What Operating System? Server 2012
    •HOW did you install the Web Server role? During the DC promotion
    •What ELSE is installed on this server? Nothing other than standard DC components

1.The network had one server. A Domain Controller running Windows Server 2003. Correct.
    2.Then you added a Windows Server 2012 system. Presumably this is the system you installed WSUS onto. Is this Windows Server 2012 system also a Domain Controller? If so, there's one well-known fatal problem covered.  Yes it is a DC.  How does the fatal problem get resolved?
    3.Then you took the Windows Server 2003 Domain Controller offline. If the Windows Server 2012 system is not a domain controller, but was made a member of the domain, that would identify a second fatal consideration. And even if the 2012 system is a DC, merely taking the Windows Server 2003 DC offline probably created yet another set of fatal problems.  Yes, this is what I did.  How do these issues get resolved?

•How *exactly* did you install WSUS on the Windows Server 2012 system
     - I installed MS SQL Server 2014 Express with Tools
     - I then installed WSUS via Server Manager/Add roles and features
    •Is WSUS the *only* thing running on that server? - Other than standard DC components, yes.

Tuesday, May 06, 2014 8:07 PM
  •  - I installed MS SQL Server 2014 Express with Tools

And I believe we've found the last relevant issue.

SQL Server 2014 is not (yet) a supported database platform for use with WSUS.

Furthermore, no Express Edition instance should ever be used with WSUS. The Windows Server platform provides the Windows Internal Database for use with WSUS. It is the optimal solution for almost every WSUS Server.

Now, as for the remainder of the situations...

• Removing the Windows Server 2003 DC without migrating the FSMO roles to the Windows Server 2012 server has left you with a partially dysfunctional Active Directory environment.
    • Installing Active Directory Domain Services AND the Web Server role at the same time may have been problematic.
    • WSUS and ADDS do not coexist well because of policy restrictions in place on the use of local accounts to run services. You'll need to modify the Local Security Policy to allow the necessary local service accounts to run services. This issue is discussed in several threads in this forum over the past year.

How to remediate this?

1. First, I think you need to strip WSUS, the Web Server Role, and SQL Server from the 2012DC. Uninstalling WSUS on a WS2012 system is particularly problematic and tedious as well, so search the forum for any one of the dozens of threads that describe the various issues other admins have had with that task.
    2. Then you'll need to repair Active Directory Domain Services. You'll need to seize the FSMO roles, and since this is now your only DC, you should probably elevate the forest and domain functional levels.
    3. If you want/need to run WSUS on the Domain Controller, you'll need to make the necessary Local Security Policy changes to facilitate that.
    4. Finally, reinstall the WSUS Role, allow WSUS to install the Web Server role and the Windows Internal Database, so that you get the right infrastructure suited to supporting a WSUS server.

SolarWinds Head Geek

Tuesday, May 06, 2014 9:42 PM
  • Hello,

What is the current situation?

Is the issue resolved?

Thursday, May 08, 2014 8:48 AM