none
Trial period of server 2012R2 evaluation suddenly expired

Question

• I installed server 2012R2, then I made it a template and from template I made 4 servers for testing. After 1 week licenses of 3 of 4 servers expired, and fourth still have 176 days of trial. What had happened and how can I return back the trial period?

Thanks

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 3:51 PM

Answers

• The evaluation version of 2012 R2 will expire after a week or 10 days if it cannot reach out to Microsoft to activate.  So the easy solution is to give it a network address that can reach the internet, let it activate (only takes a minute or so), then set the address back to whatever you were using before.  Once it activates it will be good for 180 days.  After that you can rearm it for another 30 days three times.  Obviously one of them, the one with 176 days left, was able to talk to Microsoft.

.:|:.:|:. tim

• Marked as answer by Ml-L Thursday, October 31, 2013 5:49 AM
    Wednesday, October 30, 2013 10:39 PM

All replies

• Did you activate them after you deployed them?  Did you use sysprep?

Be kind and Mark as Answer if I helped.

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 6:01 PM
  • Did you run sysprep /generalize when you created the template?

You can probably run the /rearm option to reset the timers.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc303280.aspx#_KMS_Client_Setup

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 7:45 PM
  • The evaluation version of 2012 R2 will expire after a week or 10 days if it cannot reach out to Microsoft to activate.  So the easy solution is to give it a network address that can reach the internet, let it activate (only takes a minute or so), then set the address back to whatever you were using before.  Once it activates it will be good for 180 days.  After that you can rearm it for another 30 days three times.  Obviously one of them, the one with 176 days left, was able to talk to Microsoft.

.:|:.:|:. tim

• Marked as answer by Ml-L Thursday, October 31, 2013 5:49 AM
    Wednesday, October 30, 2013 10:39 PM
  • thank you.

Solved

Thursday, October 31, 2013 5:50 AM