none
Hyper-V replica saved state

Question

• Hello,

Quick question regarding replication; when a VM is replicated, is it supposed to be off or in a saved state? In my POC it was always off, however I did read some documentation that said it was in a saved state (I of course cannot locate it now).

If it is indeed supposed to be off, is there any chance of being able to use saved states in the future?

Trent

Thursday, November 29, 2012 3:29 PM

Answers

• The replica is off - you really don't want two of the exact machine running at the same time.  It takes a 'manual' step to have the replica start.

What do you mean by a saved state?  The contents of the running VM are regularly being copied to the replica so it is being kept up to date (within a few minutes).  The VM saved state does not make sense in this environment, so I am not sure what you mean by saved state.

tim

Thursday, November 29, 2012 5:06 PM

All replies

• The replica is off - you really don't want two of the exact machine running at the same time.  It takes a 'manual' step to have the replica start.

What do you mean by a saved state?  The contents of the running VM are regularly being copied to the replica so it is being kept up to date (within a few minutes).  The VM saved state does not make sense in this environment, so I am not sure what you mean by saved state.

tim

Thursday, November 29, 2012 5:06 PM
  • If you save state  a VM the replication data is sent to the replica server - but you're not able to initiate a failover if the original VM is in a saved state and still visible to the replica server.

I was a little disappointed that when doing an unplanned failover - the replica VM would boot up from an inconsistent state - it would have been very cool if something like a "saved state" was replicated. (Although I probably wouldn't have liked to pay the price in the bandwidth this would require).

Getting there

Saturday, February 02, 2013 7:05 AM
  • I created utility that can replicate saved state. I can send it to e-mail, please give me your address.

I can't post download link here, please look near the message.

• Edited by Vitaly Novitsky Friday, September 20, 2013 11:16 AM http://gsu.by/people/novitsky/ReplicateSavedState.zip
    Friday, July 19, 2013 11:04 AM
  • The production VM can be running or off.  The replica VM in the DR site remains off.  You can fire up test failovers (a cloned VM of the replica using a differential disk[s] using the replicas disk[s] as parent[s]).  These would be for ONLY short term testing.
    Friday, July 19, 2013 11:11 PM