none
Windows 8 error when connecting to SBS2008 Remote Web Workplace

Question

• When connecting Windows 8 (release version) to Remote Web Workplace on a SBS2008 Server, get an error message  "The Wizard cannot configure Remote Desktop Connection Settings. Make sure that the client version of Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) 6.0 or later is installed on this computer."

This RWW site enables RDP Client Control (redistributable) Version 4a, while connection to a SBS2011 RWW enables the RDP Client Control (redistributable)  version 7.

I can connect to this RWW site with no problems using Windows XP or Windows 7.
    Using this same Windows 8, I can connect to a SBS2011 RWW site with no problems.
    Had the same failure on both the preview versions of Windows 8 as well.
    This is a big issue for support professionals working with Small Business Server 2008: any help would be most appreciated.
    Monday, August 27, 2012 3:01 PM

Answers

• I would expect updates for SBS 2008 and SBS 2011 to be released around the time that Windows 8 becomes generally available. Yes I know it's available on MSDN/TechNet but that's not "general availability". So for now you may encounter various compatibility issues.

Jim

Monday, August 27, 2012 3:07 PM

All replies

• I would expect updates for SBS 2008 and SBS 2011 to be released around the time that Windows 8 becomes generally available. Yes I know it's available on MSDN/TechNet but that's not "general availability". So for now you may encounter various compatibility issues.

Jim

Monday, August 27, 2012 3:07 PM
  • What he said.  There's a UR coming that will fix all of these but won't
    be out until closer to GA.

Monday, August 27, 2012 4:38 PM
  • What he said.  There's a UR coming that will fix all of these but won't
    be out until closer to GA.

My MSDN Windows 8 reports that it's fully updated...but I still can't get on to a SBS server.

Now would be a good time to release that update?

Friday, October 26, 2012 10:12 AM
  • I can't believe people are even considering using Windows 8 :-) Split-personality OS, where Microsoft forgot the desktop user!

Just my soapbox view :-)

Jim

Friday, October 26, 2012 10:19 AM
  • The update rollup is on the SBS 2008 box.  It's been released.
    Friday, October 26, 2012 2:11 PM
  • Hi Susan,

Do we know if an update rollup for SBS 2003 will be released? Yes, still have clients running that who are happy and it just works for them.

Need to go check my SBS 2008 server, and clients and see is the rollup is waiting to be installed, (reason for server restarts!).

Thanks

Tom

Friday, October 26, 2012 7:30 PM
  • SBS 2003 is no longer in active support window and is in extended support.  Security updates it will get, rollups or fixes to support Win8 it won't get.  Sorry. 

What I would recommend is looking at the changes that the update rollup does on SBS 2008 and manually add those items to group policy and firewall policy.  I'll do a blog post, but if you want to be bleeding edge on the desktop, you can't be dragging edge on the server.

Friday, October 26, 2012 7:37 PM
  • P.S. manually join the workstation to the SBS2003 would also be my recommendation. 
    Friday, October 26, 2012 7:39 PM
  • Thanks,

Agree with you on the  bleeding edge and dragging edge.

I have the Windows 8 client workstation, my client has the SBS 2003 server, sooooo...... looks like I better go back to 7 untill I figure this out.

My laptop is joined to my SBS domain, do not want to join it to clients server domain, even as a temp solution.

Friday, October 26, 2012 7:53 PM
  • Hi. I'm having the same problem. My SBS 2008 server is fully updated (using the Windows Update), but it's still not working. Is the rollup update not applied through Windows Update? Thanks!
    Friday, October 26, 2012 9:18 PM
  • No, it's either offered up via wsus or you have to install it by flipping over to Microsoft update (go into WU, click the teeny tiny button that says "click here for more products" and flip it over to MU.

Friday, October 26, 2012 9:24 PM
  • I am having the same problem as well. I've updated both through the SBS Console/Windows Update and Microsoft update and still I get this error.
    Monday, October 29, 2012 1:41 PM
  • Do you know for certain you have the recent update rollup installed?
    Monday, October 29, 2012 1:58 PM
  • I have the same problem and Rollup 6 for SBS 2008 is installed.
     "Susan Bradley [MVP]" wrote in message news:d6ae52fb-e47e-491d-8ca7-1f1fb87b71f0@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Do you know for certain you have the recent update rollup installed?

Monday, October 29, 2012 2:40 PM
  • Do you know for certain you have the recent update rollup installed?

Same problem here, All updates and rollups for SBS 2008 are installed but getting this error message, only on the windows 8 client all others work fine. 
    Monday, October 29, 2012 3:05 PM
  • Can you post up a screen shot, I want to make sure it's exactly the same error please?
    Monday, October 29, 2012 4:02 PM
  • Put the url of the rww site

a. in the trusted site zone

b. in the IE compatibiilty tab

Do that and it works.

• Proposed as answer by Tom Ryan Wednesday, October 31, 2012 4:12 PM
    Monday, October 29, 2012 4:37 PM

Do that and it works.

Thanks for the help, This now works! Something so simple. I had listed it in the trusted site zone, but using IE compatibility tab did the trick. Thanks
    • Proposed as answer by clevelandken Tuesday, December 04, 2012 2:15 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by clevelandken Tuesday, December 04, 2012 2:15 AM
    Monday, October 29, 2012 7:10 PM
  • The compatibility tab solved my problem completely. Something so simple!
    Tuesday, October 30, 2012 9:25 AM
  • Thanks Susan,

It was that last part, Ensure the web site is listed in the compatability view settings. Now if MS would just issue a note for this so everyone else could find it easily.

SBS 2008 RWW working with Windows 8 and Windows RT Surface. Fantastic!

Now to see if I can do anything with that damn SBS 2003 still living out there....

Thanks again.

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 4:18 PM
  • Susan you're a genius!  I was having the same problem and you just solved it!  Thank you so much !

Tuesday, December 04, 2012 2:16 AM

Do that and it works.

Thanks Susan, this solved the issue.  FYI, I am using Windows 8 on a Macbook Pro.
    Wednesday, December 05, 2012 3:47 PM
  • Susan or Anyone,

I am brand new to windows 8.  How do you put the url of the rww site in the IE compatibility tab?  I'm not sure I understand what you mean by that.

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 1:58 PM
  • It's just like normal windows.  In the traditional IE (not metro) Tools, compatability view settings, enter the url of the rww web site.

More here: http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2012/12/06/a-remote-windows-8-computer-fails-to-connect-to-sbs-2008-domain-clients-using-rwa.aspx

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 3:12 PM
  • Hi Susan,

Thank you so very much for your info. My wife can now access work from our home pc running Windows 8. I added the url in IE compatability tab and it connected without any problems. Been pulling my hair out for days looking for a solution to this. Fantastic help.

Sunday, January 20, 2013 10:02 PM
  • Hi Susan and everybody,

I don't really know what else I can do. I'm stucked with the same problem.

Our sbs2008 box is fully patched including the latest rollover, and the situation is like this:

1. We can RDP from the SBS 2008 remote web workplace using any Windows XP and 7 clients. We've just purchased a couple of new laptops with Windows 8 Professional OS, and
    2. You can log-in to the RWW and you get all the options depending on the user (admins can log in to the server, etc)
    3. When I select to connect to a remote desktop, I get the username and password dialog box, I enter the credentials and it does not work, it keeps asking for the password as if it was wrong

I added https : // remote.mycompany.com to the trusted sites and also to the compatibility view.

I did the test to directly connect to the machine through the Windows 8 computer from the LAN and it works. So I think we have some problem related to the TS of the SBS box.

Can you help me please?

Thanks

Tuesday, April 09, 2013 5:58 PM
  • I know this works.  Are you putting in the domain\user at that point?
    Tuesday, April 09, 2013 6:02 PM
  • Thanks Susan,

Yes, I use it like this:

mycompany.local\username and password

But the user is not authenticated, I tried with different users. 

Best regards

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 7:38 AM
  • Hi One of my clients is experiencing this exact issue on a Win 7 Pro x64 machine connecting to SBS 2008 through RWW. Everything was working fine until the this weeks updates were installed on the client.

All the Win 7 computers I've tried work fine.

Anyone have a clue?

Thursday, May 02, 2013 3:17 PM
  • Last month's updates included an RDP activeX update.  Ensure that the url for RWW is in the trusted site zone and in compat mode.
    • Proposed as answer by Codewize Wednesday, May 08, 2013 11:32 PM
    Thursday, May 02, 2013 3:40 PM
  • Last month's updates included an RDP activeX update.  Ensure that the url for RWW is in the trusted site zone and in compat mode.

OK I'll have her try that.
    Thursday, May 02, 2013 4:44 PM
  • Viewing the RWW sit in compatibility mode works. Thanks
    Wednesday, May 08, 2013 11:32 PM