none
Proactive OWA Monitoring

Question

• Hello,

i want to check/monitor whether OWA is available/up and running.

even if the services are up...it happens that after login on the OWA page...same is not available.

any tools or scripts that will this check..

urgent reply will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Friday, December 23, 2011 11:07 AM

All replies

• Run the below command at periodic interval or schedule it using the scheduler.

Test-OwaConnectivity -URL:https://mail.contoso.com/owa -MailboxCredential:(get-credential contoso\kweku)

Jasjit Singh Dhindsa | ITIL v3 | IASA Foundation Certified | MCITP: EMA 2010/2007 | MCTS: MES 2010/2007, OCS 2007 | MCSA: M+S | MCSE: M+S
    Friday, December 23, 2011 11:11 AM
  • Hello Jasjit.....thanks..

My exchange server is windows 2003.

i got an OWA server whereby the performance is having an issue since some days...this is impacting quite some users...

The command you gave "Test-OwaConnectivity..." where should i run it? i know it's not on the exchange server. but is there any tool/exe for it to run?

i tried Test-OwaConnectivity /? on a W2003 server...but got "not a recognised command"...grateful if you can help bit more... (as nothing concrete can be found on the Net)

Thanks.

Saturday, December 24, 2011 3:54 AM
  • Since the Exchange version not mentioned in your previous post so I assumed it to be the latest version and suggested the command. The command I suggested would not run on the Exchange 2003.

For Exchange 2003 you might have to look for some third party app/tool. How you determined this to be an performance issue. What symptoms users are seeing? Did you tried disabling any third party app or antivirus just to narrow down if this Is an exchange issue or caused by the third party app.

Do you see any memory errors in the log when you see the issue? Also suggest taking perfmon to see what on the system is casing the performance issue could be disk, memory processor etc…

Jasjit Singh Dhindsa | ITIL v3 | IASA Foundation Certified | MCITP: EMA 2010/2007 | MCTS: MES 2010/2007, OCS 2007 | MCSA: M+S | MCSE: M+S
    Saturday, December 24, 2011 5:18 AM
  • Hi,

You can try to monitor if the default website is start or not.

Also  you can try to use System Center Operation Manger to monitor the OWA virtual directory. It use Exchange management pack to monitor the Exchange related services and components.

Exchange 2003 Management Pack Configuration Guide

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=6340

Xiu Zhang

TechNet Community Support

Monday, December 26, 2011 8:49 AM
  • Hello Jasgit/Xiu,

i'll revert back on this...

Thanks.

Tuesday, December 27, 2011 6:04 AM