none
GP Preference - Map Drive - Change location

Question

• Hi,

I'm looking into modifying the Location (path) of some mapped drives. The drives are being mapped using Group Policy Preferences. The Action setting on each of the drive mappings is set to "Update".

I noticed that when I we modify the location (path unc), the change does not take effect for the end user (the drive is not mapped to the new location, it points to the old location path.....verified it by running net use on client after modifying policy and force updating the gpo and logoff/logon). What is the best practice/recommended way of modifying the location (path) when the drive is mapped using GPP?

I noticed that if i change the Action to "Replace" then it appears to work but i'm afraid that since replace recreates it every single time this might cause issues of mapped drives not showing up for end users (a majority of our company users use laptops on wifi at work, and some work over Direct Access). At least thats what i've read on some of the threads online. So trying to figure out what is the best/recommended way to go about it.

The properties of each drive mapping in general are:

Action: Update
    Location: \\server1\share1 (this is the path we are looking to modify in several of drive mappings)
    Drive Letter: Use (using a fixed drive letter)
    Hide/Show this drive: Show this drive
    Hide/Show all drives: No Change

We have 2008 R2 forest level and vast majority of clients are Win 7.

Your feedback/assistance will be much appreciated.

Friday, May 24, 2013 8:40 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your posting.

Replace deletes the mapped drive and then creates a new mapped drive with the configured settings. Update does NOT delete the mapped drive-- it only modifies the mapped drive with the new settings.

Configure a Mapped Drive Item

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770902.aspx

Please also have a look at this:

Using Group Policy Preferences to Map Drives

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askds/archive/2009/01/07/using-group-policy-preferences-to-map-drives-based-on-group-membership.aspx

Regards.

Vivian Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, May 27, 2013 8:41 AM
  • Thx for that  info, i came across that info in my quest to find more info on this topic.

What i'm looking to find out is how to modify the path (location) of the mapped drive that is being pushed through GPP and have it take effect for the user. The "Update" does not seem to work (does not update the path), is that the expected behviour? If yes, then are we supposed to use "Replace" instead and if we do then what could the impact be on clients that connect to the network via Wifi/Direct Access (if its deletes and recreates and lets say the network connection was not fully connected at the time of user logon, does it still create the map drived?)
    Monday, May 27, 2013 1:10 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your response.

Please check this thread:

Group Policy Preferences - Drive Mapping Questions

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverGP/thread/8a2637a2-9b1d-4e80-a000-44ed2fc5c435

Regards.

Vivian Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 6:31 AM
  • Hi, I saw that post too and similar to what that poster had mentioned: "it seems that the Update setting does not specify what can be updated. Is it just the label for a mapped drive, the patch, other settings, or the drive letter itself?"

i too cannot determine for sure what update does after reading the update & replace descriptions on technet. Is update supposed to update the path (location) of the Mapped drive in GPP? If not, then are we supposed to use "Replace" for such a change?

And what can be the implications of using "replace" when you have a log of wireless/direct access clients?

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 1:32 PM
  • You can check "apply once and don not reapply" for a try. With the box enabled, the Group Policy Preference applies only once.

Regards,

Diana

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, May 31, 2013 10:41 AM
  • http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2284538

Regards,

Diana

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, May 31, 2013 10:41 AM
  • You can check "apply once and don not reapply" for a try. With the box enabled, the Group Policy Preference applies only once.

Regards,

Diana

Try to use the "Replace" with "apply once and do not reapply? I suppose there is no official recommended method to change the location (path) for a existing mapped drive.
    Wednesday, June 05, 2013 3:36 PM
  • Yes, use Replace action and check "Apply once and do not reapply".

Regards,

Diana

Thursday, June 06, 2013 2:50 PM
  • I came across an article on technet which seems to suggest that "Replace Mode Only Maps the Drive Every Other Logon"

article: Troubleshooting the Drive Maps Preference Extension in Group Policy: Replace Mode Only Maps the Drive Every Other Logon

So trying to stay away from it since we want the drive to be mapped every logon. I thought perhaps we can use "Delete" instead with "Apply once and do not reapply" but found out that most of our client workstations have Gpprefcl.dll version as 6.1.7600.16385 so it does not look like our workstations have the updated dll that the KB you referenced mentions.

Thinking about this, what if I was to use Item-level targetting with "Delete" action. So something like:

1. Delete "Z" drive and set item-level targetting to a group such as "DeleteZDrive" (add "Domain Users" group to this group so that it applies to all users in the domain.....assuming nesting groups works on Item-level targetting)

2. Update the location (path) in the "Update" action to point to the new UNC path

3. Remove "Domain Users" group from "DeleteZDrive" group so that "Delete" no longer targets these users

Would the above work? Any idea where exactly is "Delete" tattooed on a client?

Thanks,

Bob

Monday, June 10, 2013 3:53 PM
  • It works in my opinion.

One more suggestion:

You can use the checkbox 'Remove this item when it is no longer applied', when you delete the GPP item(without using the Delete action), after one or two reboots on clients, the drive mapping should disappear.

Regards,

Diana

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 7:22 AM
  • The "Remove this item when it no longer applies" is unavailable when i select the Delete option. Are you suggesting to check that on the Update action where i will modify the location (path) of the mapped drive?

Thanks,

Bob

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 7:35 PM
  • Yes, remain Update action and original location, check the box "Remove this item when it no longer applies", mapped drive will be removed after once or twice reboot.

Then you can create new GPP to map drive to new location.

Or adopt your idea: Delete action and configure Item-level targeting, then map new drive for users.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/11332.group-policy-preference-sticky-map-drives.aspx

Regards,

Diana

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 2:02 AM
  • Yes, remain Update action and original location, check the box "Remove this item when it no longer applies", mapped drive will be removed after once or twice reboot.

Then you can create new GPP to map drive to new location.

Or adopt your idea: Delete action and configure Item-level targeting, then map new drive for users.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/11332.group-policy-preference-sticky-map-drives.aspx

Regards,

Diana

Revise:

Remain Update action and original location, check the box "Remove this item when it no longer applies", then remove the GPP item, mapped drive will be removed after once or twice reboot.

Regards,

Diana

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 2:10 AM
  • The issue is that when you select "Remove this item when it no longer applies" change the Update action to Replace which I'm trying to stay away from since it appears that Replace Mode Only Maps the Drive Every Other Logon. So Delete with Item-level targetting, and then Update with updated UNC location path to new file server will likely be the route that i will have to take.

And looking at online threads it looks like persistant drives are stored under HKCU\Network\<drive letter>. But i cannot find where the Delete action is stored/cached/tattooed locally on a client. Would you know where?

Thanks,

Bob

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 4:38 PM
  • Delete action will remove the drive letter information from registry key HKCU\Network if we enable Delete for a mapping drive.

Regards,

Diana

Friday, June 14, 2013 1:56 AM
  • Does the action work for you?

Regards,

Diana

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 7:19 AM
  • The delete does delete the registry letter from under HKCU\Network after my testing. However, once you remove the Delete GPP item from the GPO does it stay behind on the client somehow or that will be the end of Delete action on the client (ie is this action cached/lingers on the client after Delete GPP is removed from GPO)?

Thanks,

Bob

Thursday, June 20, 2013 1:48 PM
  • If the box "Remove this item when it is no longer applied"  is checked, the mapped drive is also removed regardless of which action you are selecting.

Regards,

Diana

Friday, July 12, 2013 7:03 AM