none
Access 2010 Navigation Form Programming

Question

• I have an application that was written in Access 2007 and almost exclusively in VBA.  There are 4 main forms 1. Matters 2. Case Details 3. Document Assembly 4 Time and Billing.  I used a 2007 form template with the bar running through the form header and used that as a navigation bar with the names of the forms as command buttons. 

I created a Navigation Module for each of the four forms so that anytime the command button is pressed on any of the forms it calls the public sub for that form and navigates to the form and that form is filtered on the current record of the previous form. 

I give an exam0ple below so if the user is currently in the Matters form and clicks the cmdCaseDetails button it would call the NavCaseDetails public sub and stay filtered on whatever record the user was on. 

Public Sub NavCaseDetails()

Dim strCriteria As String
        Dim ID As Long
        Dim strFormName As String

On Error GoTo HandleError

strFormName = "frmCaseDetails"
            strCriteria = "[ID] = " & Screen.ActiveForm.ID
            DoCmd.Close
            DoCmd.OpenForm strFormName, , , strCriteria

ExitHere:
        Exit Sub
    HandleError:

MsgBox Err.Description & vbCrLf & Err.Number, , "Juris Documents..."

Resume ExitHere

End Sub

This works perfectly and I like the UI I created in Access 2007 and BTW loved the features of Access 2007 to re-use forms as templates etc.  great for programming and I really liked the flexibility in the UI really outstanding.  Okay enough praise for Access 2007.

Heres the rub I like the Navigation Forms in 2010 even better! My problem is that I don't like macros. All right its not that I don't like them its just that like everyone else that wrtis an applicaiton in access I used VBA because of the flexibilty.  I can find no good source to figure out how to simply program the navigation form tab to open the target, which in Access 2010 Navigation form would now be subform frmCaseDetails and keep the filtered record the user was last working on in whatever form he was in.    

I prefer VBA as a solution because as with the above example I created a module and wrote one code for each form then all I had to do was simply call the public sub for that form on a command button in a form. I have tried to write a macro with a TempVar but I would have to rewrite it for each button on the various forms.

So how can I migrate my heretofor awesome UI in Access 2007 to the 2010 navigation form and accomplich the same thing.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sunday, October 24, 2010 11:36 PM

Answers

• Hi,

This issue is related to Access Development. I suggest you posting this thread in the Access for Developers forum, as they should have more professional knowledge on Access Development and you may get effective solution timely. For your convenience, I would like to list the Access for Developers forum link below:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/accessdev/threads

Hope that helps.

• Marked as answer by Jennifer Zhan Monday, November 01, 2010 2:45 AM
    Monday, October 25, 2010 9:14 AM