none
Consolidating 2012R2 DPM and SQL onto a single machine

Question

• All computers are Windows Server 2012R2 with current updates and SQL is 2012 with SP2 and was working before I tried the following.

I originally installed DPM on a physical machine named SC03 using SC02 as it's SQL server. I have added a number of other SC services onto SC02 and I am finding it inconvenient that the DPM SQL is on SC02. I want to move the SQL database from SC02 to SC03 where DPM is running. I have found documentation for moving the SQL off of the DPM server to a dedicated box but not the other direction. From the various posts I have read, it appears that this should be a matter of backing up your database (though I can't seem to use the dpmbackup -db command on the SQL server because it isn't there). So I did an SQL backup. I uninstalled DPM from the server selecting to retain data. I installed SQL on the DPM server. I tried to install DPM back onto the same server. It kept failing on the 812 Report Server error that so many people are reporting. I tried all of the guidance I could find around that and still can't install DPM back on the machine it was on, only with the SQL server local. To try to get my system back to an operational state until I can look at this more, I went ahead and did the install again pointing it back at its original SQL server (SC02). All seemed to go fine (I installed the rollup 2 update before opening anything). When I opened the console, I saw nothing. I went back to the SQL server to see about restoring my backup and instead of binding to the existing database, it built a new database with the same name followed by a bunch of extra letters (GUID). I restored the backup to that database and then ran DPMSYNC -sync and then checked my console and still I have no protection groups or anything. I would really like to get my configuration back but I am not so far in to this new deployment that I can't start over. But this doesn't bode well for future recovery in the event of a hardware failure on SC03 or SC02. Any assistance that can be provided would be greatly appreciated.

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 8:25 PM

Answers

• Hi,

DPMBACKUP and DPMSYNC are installed on the SQL Server when you ran SqlPrep before installing DPM2012 R2.  They are located in the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM2012R2\SQLPrep folder.

If the protection groups are not present after the restore, then something went wrong - check the file sizes and doublecheck sql management studio to see if the original database was restored instead of overwriting the new one.  You should be able to rename newdb to virgindb, then rename originaldb to newdb.

BACKUP DPMDB ON REMOTE SQL SERVER (USING DEFAULT INSTANCE)
    =================================

C:\> CD "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM2012R2\SQLPrep

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM2012\SQLPrep>dpmbackup -db -instancename (Local) -dpmdbname DPMDB_SC03 -targetlocation c:\temp
    DpmBackup 1.0 - Data Protection Manager backup command-line tool
    Copyright (c) 2012 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

DPM database dpmdb_SC03: Backup created successfully

RESTORE DPMDB ON REMOTE SQL SERVER (WHEN USING DEFAULT INSTANCE specify (local or period . for instance name)
    ===================================

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM2012R2\SQLPrep>dpmsync -restoredb -dbloc c:\temp\dpmdb_SC03.bak -instancename (local) -dpmdbname dpmdb_SC03
    DpmSync 2.0 - DPM database synchronization command-line tool

Restoring DPM Database completed.

Then run DPMSYNC -SYNC on DPM Server.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, July 17, 2014 1:07 AM

All replies

• Hi,

DPMBACKUP and DPMSYNC are installed on the SQL Server when you ran SqlPrep before installing DPM2012 R2.  They are located in the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM2012R2\SQLPrep folder.

If the protection groups are not present after the restore, then something went wrong - check the file sizes and doublecheck sql management studio to see if the original database was restored instead of overwriting the new one.  You should be able to rename newdb to virgindb, then rename originaldb to newdb.

BACKUP DPMDB ON REMOTE SQL SERVER (USING DEFAULT INSTANCE)
    =================================

C:\> CD "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM2012R2\SQLPrep

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM2012\SQLPrep>dpmbackup -db -instancename (Local) -dpmdbname DPMDB_SC03 -targetlocation c:\temp
    DpmBackup 1.0 - Data Protection Manager backup command-line tool

DPM database dpmdb_SC03: Backup created successfully

RESTORE DPMDB ON REMOTE SQL SERVER (WHEN USING DEFAULT INSTANCE specify (local or period . for instance name)
    ===================================

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM2012R2\SQLPrep>dpmsync -restoredb -dbloc c:\temp\dpmdb_SC03.bak -instancename (local) -dpmdbname dpmdb_SC03
    DpmSync 2.0 - DPM database synchronization command-line tool

Restoring DPM Database completed.

Then run DPMSYNC -SYNC on DPM Server.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, July 17, 2014 1:07 AM
  • I agree that the documentation says that DPMBACKUP and DPMSYNC are supposed to be on the SQL server but they are not on my SQL server and I, of course, did run the SQL prep on the SQL server. I will see if I can implement the above suggestions in the morning.

Thursday, July 17, 2014 1:30 AM
  • I will mark your reply as the answer but it didn't work for me because for some reason the tools were not on the SQL server for me to do the backup. I went ahead and rebuilt it clean and I am redeploying it to my machines that I had on their previously.

Thanks.

Thursday, July 17, 2014 3:16 PM
  • I rebuilt the server and I am almost done reimplementing it. I will look more closely at the backup and recovery procedure for future reference.

Friday, July 18, 2014 11:52 AM