none
nslookup not showing router name as default server not hostname

Question

• Hi All,

I wanted to install obiee 11g in windows 7 home edition. I am getting INST:08058 error so I have installed Microsoft loop back adapter and have static ip address(10.10.10.10)and configured host file in system 32.The nslookup shows default server unknown. I want host name (salikya-PC)to be default server name while doing nslookup, so that I can install oracle bi products. Do we have dns client in windows 7 pro? I am not able to find. What changes I should make so that default server is hostname when i do nslookup? The following configuration I have made in TCP/IPV 4 in microsoft loopback adapter. If i change to obtain DNS server automatically, then in nslookup the default server name will be Server: router.belkin Address: 192.168.1.1( DHCP Server IP in wireless LAN adapter) I do not know much about computer networking  much. Appreciate very much for any kind advice.

Thanks, Sushil

Saturday, August 03, 2013 7:23 PM

Answers

• Hi Neon55,

When you use the router and configure TCP/IP automatically, it is a normal behavior that nslookup will show the router name.

When you set IP address manually, there is no method to make nslookup show the hostname. Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Blair Deng

blair deng

TechNet Community Support

Monday, August 12, 2013 1:25 AM

All replies