none
Spam Filter - cannot enable updates.

Question

• Hello...

I am having a very interesting problem that I have not been able to solve with typical internet searches.

The History:

I had a catastrophic failure of my only Exchange 2010 Server this week.  The only way to recover was to build a new server and to delete all references to the old server and the Database with ADSI Edit.  The problem was caused by applying SP2 and having powershell scripts restricted as a domain policy.  The exchange sp2 readiness check does not check to see if the policy allows ps1 scripts to run.  So 3/4 thru the update.  BLAM!  All gone.  Now I'm back up and running with my mew server but Anti-Spam is not working properly. so if anyone needs any male enhancement meds.. I can send you lots of details.  :)

Spam filtering works... sort of.  BUT... I can't enable updates.  The option does not even exist in the EMC on the right pane.  I can see the Anti-spam tabs but nothing allows me to set the updates.  Get-antispamupdates command in PS does not exist.

I ran the install scripts and i see the Filters in the EMC.  It even pulled the settings form AD.  I've even run the un-install scripts and attempted to re-install with no avail.  I've checked remote registry service and file and print status as some sites suggested.  Nothing works.

I checked the InternalSMTPTransport setting as described in:  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb201691.aspx

Has anyone run into this? I'm totally stumped.

Chris

• Edited by Chris Baksa Wednesday, February 29, 2012 8:51 PM Wasn't finished.
    Wednesday, February 29, 2012 8:41 PM

Answers

• Zi,

Thank you for the response.

... So after playing around for some time and making no progress, i decided to investigate Forefront.

I ran setup again and clicked the forefront link in the splash screen.  It re-directed me to the web for the download.  But something else stood out.  There was another link on the splash which I neglected to click.  "Get Critical Updates".  After clicking that, it again re-directed me to the web and this time to windows update online. I just assumed that windows update would cover this step.

After that the updates worked.  I had spamfilter updates, silver light updates, and office filter pack updates.  I didn't have them earlier when I ran windows update.

So my question is... Exactly what does this enable to allow windows update to see the updates for exchange?

Chris

Chris

Friday, March 02, 2012 2:42 PM

All replies

• Hi Chris

In Exchange server 2010 SP1, the cmlet  “Enable-Antispamupdates” and “Get-Antispamupdates” have been removed.

For more information, please refer to the following Exchange Team Blog.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/isablog/archive/2010/09/01/problems-when-installing-exchange-2010-service-pack-1-on-a-tmg-configured-for-mail-protection.aspx

Cheers

Zi Feng

Zi Feng

TechNet Community Support

Friday, March 02, 2012 7:42 AM
  • Zi,

Thank you for the response.

... So after playing around for some time and making no progress, i decided to investigate Forefront.

I ran setup again and clicked the forefront link in the splash screen.  It re-directed me to the web for the download.  But something else stood out.  There was another link on the splash which I neglected to click.  "Get Critical Updates".  After clicking that, it again re-directed me to the web and this time to windows update online. I just assumed that windows update would cover this step.

After that the updates worked.  I had spamfilter updates, silver light updates, and office filter pack updates.  I didn't have them earlier when I ran windows update.

So my question is... Exactly what does this enable to allow windows update to see the updates for exchange?

Chris

Chris

Friday, March 02, 2012 2:42 PM
  • Hi

I think it depends, cause some Exchange update have prerequest, they are included in Windows Update. So dont worry about that, always keep the latest.

Cheers

Zi Feng

Zi Feng

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 2:37 AM
  • I have three addresses coming into my yahoo account from my own domain, I also have my sbcglobal mail coming into my yahoo account. The spam filter doesn't seem to be working on those addresses.
    Lift Serum Pro
    Wednesday, March 07, 2012 7:11 AM