none
CSR being rejected at Network Solutions with "invalid organization name"

Question

• I'm trying to go through the initial setup wizards and configuring the RWW.

When I get to the certificate part, I am required to purchase a certificate.

I've purchased the certificate from Network Solutions and the wizard has generated as CSR for me.

When I validate the certificate with the CSR from the SBS2011 Essentials machine, it get a error from Network Solutions that says "invalid organization name"

Apparently, this must match exactly with the Registrant of the Domain as its listed at Network Solutions.

How do I find out what the Organization Name is that is being sent to Network Solutions with the CSR that is being generated in the SBS2011 Essentials machine?

Can I change what is there and make it match the registrant at Network Solutions and then regenerate the CSR?

Help Please,

Jake

Thursday, December 08, 2011 7:47 PM

All replies

• the default would be remote.domain.com

You may find you have to setup a DNS record or something like that for remote.domain.com before they will issue the certificate.

Maybe this will be useful,

http://titlerequired.com/2011/07/15/setting-up-remote-web-access-on-sbs-2011-essentials-part-1/

Robert Pearman SBS MVP (2011) | www.titlerequired.com | www.itauthority.co.uk
    Monday, December 12, 2011 12:43 PM
  • I have an A record in the DNS that points to the remote.domain.com and have had that since the beginning. Is there a way to make sure the Organization Name that is in the CSR is correct? Can I see what is being put into the CSR and re-generate the CSR from within the wizard?
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 5:03 AM
  • I have decoded the CSR that SBS2011 Essentials is generating and everything is blank except the CN=remote.domain.com

so yes, network solutions is right, invalid organization name.  there is no organization name being transmitted in the CSR.

How do I get SBS2011 to transmit more than just the CN so that Network Solutions will validate?

Where would I put the Organization Name?  In IIS somewhere?  Then the wizard will generate the CSR with the correct info?
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 12:54 PM
  • I think you followed up with a question on my blog.

The suggestion i gave was to use IIS to build the CSR, which you can set Organisation name etc in.

Then when you have the Cert generated by Network Solutions you can use a 'manual' SSL installation with the wizard.

Robert Pearman SBS MVP (2011) | www.titlerequired.com | www.itauthority.co.uk
    Monday, December 19, 2011 3:05 PM