none
Retention Policy Tag - Default 2 year move to Archive question

Question

• We are implementing an On-Premise Exchange 2010 environment that is also Federated with Office365.  I see that in both environments a retention policy of "Default 2 year move to archive" is set to TYPE All.    My understanding is this is the default retention policy that will be applied to all messages.

Question #1

We do not have archive mailboxes enabled in either on-premise or Office365.  Does this mean that no default retention policy is applied?

Question #2

Where can I go to find the documentation for any of this.  I have found bits and pieces of it everywhere but nothing comprehensive.

Jason

Jason Meyer

Monday, February 13, 2012 8:21 PM

Answers

• Here you can find detailed documentation:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd297955.aspx

When you have Default Retention Policy tag that moves messages to archive, it is applied to every message that does not have any other tags.

If the user don`t have Archive mailbox, no action is taken.

• Marked as answer by Frank.Wang Monday, February 20, 2012 2:02 AM
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 11:25 AM
  •  I see that in both environments a retention policy of "Default 2 year move to archive" is set to TYPE All.    My understanding is this is the default retention policy that will be applied to all messages.

Actually, this is called Retention Tags(Default policy tags).

You can use retention policies to group one or more retention tags and apply them to mailboxes. A mailbox can't have more than one retention policy. Retention tags can be linked to or unlinked from a retention policy at any time, and the changes automatically take effect for all mailboxes that have the policy applied.

The following link will be helpful:

Understanding Retention Tags and Retention Policies

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Frank Wang

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 6:56 AM

All replies

•  I see that in both environments a retention policy of "Default 2 year move to archive" is set to TYPE All.    My understanding is this is the default retention policy that will be applied to all messages.

Actually, this is called Retention Tags(Default policy tags).

You can use retention policies to group one or more retention tags and apply them to mailboxes. A mailbox can't have more than one retention policy. Retention tags can be linked to or unlinked from a retention policy at any time, and the changes automatically take effect for all mailboxes that have the policy applied.

The following link will be helpful:

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Frank Wang

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 6:56 AM
  • OK, yes I stated that incorrectly.   The default policy TAG is set to "Default 2 year move to archive".

Question #1

We do not have archive mailboxes enabled in either on-premise or Office365. Does this mean that no default retention policy TAG is applied?

Question #2

Where can I go to find the documentation for any of this. I have found bits and pieces of it everywhere but nothing comprehensive.

Jason

Jason Meyer

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 2:48 PM
  • Hi Jason,

Answer #1:

Yes. If the mailbox is not assigned a Retention Policy, thus no TAG is applied(Please note you cannot apply a TAG to mailbox directly).

You can apply a Retention Policy to a mailbox in 2 ways via EMC:

a. Organization Configuration->Mailbox->Retention Policies->Right click on one Policy->Properties->Mailboxes->Add...

b. Recipient Configuration->Mailbox->Right click on one mailbox->Properties->Mailbox Settings->Messaging Records Management ->Properties->Apply Retention Policy

Answer #2:

Please see the link I provided to you:

Frank Wang

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 2:16 AM
  • Here you can find detailed documentation:

When you have Default Retention Policy tag that moves messages to archive, it is applied to every message that does not have any other tags.

If the user don`t have Archive mailbox, no action is taken.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 11:25 AM
  • Hi Jason,

Any updates?

Frank Wang

Friday, February 17, 2012 1:58 AM
  • Thank you GeorgiIvanov for indicating that if the default tag in the default policy has 'go to archive mailbox' but in the situation that the user doesn't have an archive mailbox there is no action.

Thank you Frank and GeorgiIvanov for the link to the documentation.

Jason

Jason Meyer

Sunday, February 19, 2012 7:28 PM