none
RWA -Port 443 blocked by ISP

Question

• We just installed SBSe and proceeded with the RWA setup after getting the "A Record" from ISP and needed SSL certificate from Registrar of domain, and making sure UPnP was enabled. Thought we were on a roll, then found out ISP was blocking port 443 --should have called them first, but we have a business plan and Static IP from ISP and assumed ports 80 & 443 were not blocked. We can upgrade to the ISP's "Enterprise" plan and they will unblock them; however our ISP said we can forward port 443 to any port over #1024.

Have read a few things on this but confused...how do we do that?

Thank you!

Saturday, March 03, 2012 5:54 PM

Answers

• I think what they are referring to is using PAT on your router instead of NAT.

This is where you say, port 4343 externally maps to port 443 internally, rather than the traditional 443 to 443.

This may work to provide access to the RWA, however i would expect it to break the RDP Function.

SBSe will also complain about the router configuration if it cannot verify port 80 and 443 are open, not a big deal, as it tends to moan about the router anyway.

My advice would be to take the upgrade or switch ISPs.

Robert Pearman SBS MVP (2011) | www.titlerequired.com | www.itauthority.co.uk

Saturday, March 03, 2012 7:42 PM
  • Cannot switch ISPs -only one in our area and just did a new cable install to get it instead of DSL..have come a long way.

New to SBSe, what RDP function do you mean it will break  - do you mean accessing a client computer from the Server, INTERNALLY?

That means you log on RWA and try to connect to a computer (under Computers section) by RDP.

Sean Zhu

TechNet Community Support

Monday, March 05, 2012 7:56 AM

All replies

• Never heard of an ISP with a business class plan that blocked port 443. I'm not sure if their port forwarding scheme will work. I guess you'll either need to switch to the enterprise plan or switch ISPs. BTW who is this ISP so we know to avoid using them?

Steve

<porbar> wrote in message news:3a5e1f7d-4599-416c-a928-be74e9923342@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

We just installed SBSe and proceeded with the RWA setup after getting the "A Record" from ISP and needed SSL certificate from Registrar of domain, and making sure UPnP was enabled. Thought we were on a roll, then found out ISP was blocking port 443 --should have called them first, but we have a business plan and Static IP from ISP and assumed ports 80 & 443 were not blocked. We can upgrade to the ISP's "Enterprise" plan and they will unblock them; however our ISP said we can forward port 443 to any port over #1024.

Have read a few things on this but confused...how do we do that?

Thank you!

Saturday, March 03, 2012 6:58 PM
  • I think what they are referring to is using PAT on your router instead of NAT.

This is where you say, port 4343 externally maps to port 443 internally, rather than the traditional 443 to 443.

This may work to provide access to the RWA, however i would expect it to break the RDP Function.

SBSe will also complain about the router configuration if it cannot verify port 80 and 443 are open, not a big deal, as it tends to moan about the router anyway.

My advice would be to take the upgrade or switch ISPs.

Robert Pearman SBS MVP (2011) | www.titlerequired.com | www.itauthority.co.uk

Saturday, March 03, 2012 7:42 PM
  • Cannot switch ISPs -only one in our area and just did a new cable install to get it instead of DSL..have come a long way.

New to SBSe, what RDP function do you mean it will break  - do you mean accessing a client computer from the Server, INTERNALLY? A small network, will not miss it. Or do you mean the client computers will not be able to access the shared folders on the server -using the Launch Connector App?? -we'll miss that.

We need Remote Access for another vendor to install software on the server and the client computers  - if PAT works, should this be do-able?

Yes - we thought a business plan and static IP would mean we were not blocked..may have to upgrade to their "enterprise" plan -another $40/month.

Thanks again...

Saturday, March 03, 2012 8:44 PM

New to SBSe, what RDP function do you mean it will break  - do you mean accessing a client computer from the Server, INTERNALLY?

That means you log on RWA and try to connect to a computer (under Computers section) by RDP.

Sean Zhu

TechNet Community Support

Monday, March 05, 2012 7:56 AM