none
MDT 32-bit or 64-bit? Technician PC 32-bit or 64-bit?

Question

• Hello,

There seems to be a lot of conflicting information on the internet about this.  I would appreciate any advice.

My goal is to use MDT to deploy custom Windows 8.1 to many tablets using a USB stick (SCCM is not possible or feasible at this time). At the moment, I want to deploy Windows 8.1 32-bit (tablet I'm testing does not support 64-bit). In a couple of months, I'll probably be also deploying Windows 8.1 64-bit onto a different tablet.

Currently, I have a technician PC (Windows 8.1 64-bit) with MDT (64-bit) and AIK installed.

Q1: Does the OS on the technician PC has to be 32-bit or 64-bit?

Q2: Does the installation of MDT has to be 32-bit or 64-bit (obviously only on a 64-bit OS)?

According to http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh825212.aspx,

"We recommend that you use the 32-bit version of Windows on the technician computer because the 32-bit version supports both 32-bit and 64-bit deployments."

So the OS on my tecnician's PC has to be 32-bit? Obviously, installation of MDT would then also be 32-bit.

Many thanks.

Thursday, July 24, 2014 10:34 AM

Answers

• Yes this is correct. And yes you will be able to deploy Windows 8.1 x86 on UEFI devices. Don't worry about the deployment. The issue is when using WSIM

- Yannick Plavonil

Deploiement Windows

• Marked as answer by MDTBart Friday, July 25, 2014 6:57 PM
    Friday, July 25, 2014 2:31 PM

All replies

• Hi,

First, be sure to have the latest version MDT 2013 and ADK for Windows 8.1.

The link you provided is about ADK not MDT 2013. In reality it means that you cannot use ADK on a x64 PC to work on x86 image. But that's not a big deal. You can see it when you try to open an x86 image from WSIM..

For MDT 2013 versions, it is tied to the OS architecture. So if you have x86 Windows  installed you have to use the 32 bit version and vice versa.

In real world, most of them are x64 version.

- Yannick Plavonil

Deploiement Windows

Thursday, July 24, 2014 3:29 PM
  • The link I'm using for ADK is http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=39982, which I believe is the latest version.

The link I'm using for MDT 2013 is http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40796, which I believe is the latest.

So here's my understanding:

On a 64-bit technician PC, ADK is installed (as 64-bit?).  There no choice when running adsetup.exe, so I'm assuming it gets installed as 64-bit? This then allows me to administer 64-bit wim files only and not 32-bit files? Installing MDT - you would need to run  MicrosoftDeploymentToolkit2013_x64.msi.

On a 32-bit technician PC, ADK is installed (as 32-bit?).  There no choice when running adsetup.exe, so I'm assuming it gets installed as 32-bit? This then allows me to administer 32-bit wim files only and not 64-bit files? Installing MDT - you would need to run  MicrosoftDeploymentToolkit2013_x86.msi.

Can you please confirm my understanding above is correct. 

I currently have technician PC as 64-bit, with MDT installed as 64. I need to create MDT Task Sequence for deploying Win8.1_x86onto UEFI devices.  Will I have issues and do I need to re-install everything to be 32-bit?

Many thanks in advance.

Friday, July 25, 2014 11:16 AM
  • Yes this is correct. And yes you will be able to deploy Windows 8.1 x86 on UEFI devices. Don't worry about the deployment. The issue is when using WSIM

- Yannick Plavonil

Deploiement Windows

• Marked as answer by MDTBart Friday, July 25, 2014 6:57 PM
    Friday, July 25, 2014 2:31 PM
  • Many thanks

Friday, July 25, 2014 6:57 PM