none
Server 2012 licensing question

Question

• We would like to run two virtual machines in Hyper-V as follows:

• 1 x Server 2012 Standard (host)
    • 1 x Server 2012 Essentials (guest VM)
    • 1 x Server 2008 R2 (guest VM)

Is it correct that a single license of Server 2012 Standard (Open License) would cover this scenario? I know you get downgrade rights with it when you purchase a volume license, I just don't know if that covers VMs too? Thanks for any insight on this.

Sunday, October 06, 2013 2:05 AM

Answers

• Thanks for the response above. I believe that the installation media and product keys would be provided via the Volume License Service Center upon purchase of the license. I'm just wondering if Microsoft provides keys specifically for virtualization?

media and pkeys for your purchase are provided via VLSC, but not the downgrade media and keys (unless you purchase SA).

No, there are no specific pkeys for virtualisation.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Sunday, October 06, 2013 8:36 PM

All replies

• I think that's all permitted within the licensing terms.

This blog post may help:
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2012/12/12/using-windows-server-2012-essentials-with-more-than-25-users.aspx

You do need a method to get the installation media and also the relevant product keys.
    In some situations this might mean that you have to buy a License for the relevant down-level or down-edition product (unless you have a legitimate copy of the media through other means), then you just need the product key, and you can call the MS VL activation centre, explain your scenario (exercise downgrade rights) and they will apparently give you a one-time pkey.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Sunday, October 06, 2013 3:40 AM
  • Thanks for the response above. I believe that the installation media and product keys would be provided via the Volume License Service Center upon purchase of the license. I'm just wondering if Microsoft provides keys specifically for virtualization?
    Sunday, October 06, 2013 6:23 PM

media and pkeys for your purchase are provided via VLSC, but not the downgrade media and keys (unless you purchase SA).

No, there are no specific pkeys for virtualisation.

Don

Sunday, October 06, 2013 8:36 PM