none
Sharing Roaming and Mandatory user profile problem with windows server 2008 R2?

Question

• In my company we have groups of users that have the same category and we want each group share roaming profile folder. I am running Windows Server 2008 R2 as DC and Windows 7 client computers, i had a problem when applying Roaming and Mandatory profiles. The problem is: i created two users ex: User01 and User02, i created roaming profile for the User01; ( Created shared folder with everyone full control for both security and sharing permission. Then i write the the correct UNC for the shared \\FS01\Profiles\%Username% in profile tab of User01. After that i log in with User01 successfully , i checked shared folder i found the folder User01.V2). In order to change the User01.V2 folder permission i toke the ownership then i added everyone with full control to ACL. Then i write the the correct UNC for the shared \\FS01\Profiles\user01 in profile tab of User02 in order to share roaming profile. When i log in with User02 it log in with Temporary profile. After log off, i give the ownership to of user01.v2 profile folder to User02 and try to log in again with User02 it give me " The Group Policy Client service failed the logon Access denied.". After log off i tried to log in with User01 it log in and give me " User Profile Service: you have been logged on with temporary profile.". So, i want to share profile folder with some users how to fix the problem?

• Edited by M.Atrosh Friday, October 04, 2013 6:33 PM
    Friday, October 04, 2013 6:14 PM

Answers

• I solved the problem in the following steps:

1- Create the a user (User_Name), then log in and do the required settings.

2- Rename original default profile "_default", then rename newly created profile "default".

3- Configure the Default profile for use by any user. That by Replace all instances of "User_Name"(the user you created) with the variable %username%.

4- Copy the modified default profile to a network share.

5- Set the appropriate permission on profile folder. 

6- Set default user profile to be a mandatory profile.

7- Assign the required users the path to the modified user profile location on your server.

• Edited by M.Atrosh Saturday, November 16, 2013 5:23 PM worng numbers
    • Marked as answer by M.Atrosh Saturday, November 16, 2013 5:24 PM
    Saturday, November 16, 2013 5:19 PM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, it is suggested that we can directly write the profile path in the profile tab of user02 as \\FS01\Profiles\user02, for the user is to get the roaming profile from the network share \\FS01\Profiles\ but not from \\FS01\Profiles\user01.

Regarding how to configure a roaming and mandatory profile, the following video may be worth taking a look at.

How To Create a Roaming Mandatory User Profile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05UNhiMoteA

Best regards,

Frank Shen

Monday, October 07, 2013 7:17 AM
  • I solved the problem in the following steps:

1- Create the a user (User_Name), then log in and do the required settings.

2- Rename original default profile "_default", then rename newly created profile "default".

3- Configure the Default profile for use by any user. That by Replace all instances of "User_Name"(the user you created) with the variable %username%.

4- Copy the modified default profile to a network share.

5- Set the appropriate permission on profile folder. 

6- Set default user profile to be a mandatory profile.

7- Assign the required users the path to the modified user profile location on your server.

• Edited by M.Atrosh Saturday, November 16, 2013 5:23 PM worng numbers
    • Marked as answer by M.Atrosh Saturday, November 16, 2013 5:24 PM
    Saturday, November 16, 2013 5:19 PM