none
WDS 2012 and WDS 2008R2 Boot Image/Capture Image Driver Updates

Question

• I have a working Server 2012 WDS system. I have used a Windows 8 wim file to create the boot.wim and then the capture.wim. This has worked for most of my hardware, predominantly 2013 versions of Lenovo PC's. I had a problem with a new Lenovo that required me to update the NIC driver for the boot and then the capture image. I've since run into a problem where the driver update process has not worked.

I noticed that if I updated the capture.wim, then during the PXE boot process the system would hang and then restart. If I updated the boot.wim and created a new capture.wim, the system would boot correctly. The documentation I've read indicates that you update the wim file, it doesn't mention boot and then creating a new capture. Is this correct?

I have some Toshiba laptops I need to capture and deploy. The Toshiba laptops are using NIC's that appear to not have drivers in the standard Window 8 boot.wim. I've tried to locate the drivers that Toshiba use, but they are hard to identify as they don't provide straight downloadable files from their website and the drivers I find on the vendors page don't load.

This is similar to a problem I've got with a newer Lenovo All In One, where I've located the exact driver and confirmed it works by manually adding it in the PXE boot screen (drvload command). Howerver during the boot process  this driver isn't loaded. When I check the vendor and hardware ID from a running version of the same device, I notice that it isn't listed in the INF file. Again, I seem to have done all the correct things, I just can't get the driver to load during PXE.

To really confuse me, I noticed that if I did a PXE boot and loaded the 'Install an Image' command, using the same drivers as loaded in the 'Capture an Image', the network drivers would load. So am I doing the driver update incorrect (in this instance I imported a new boot.wim file, updated the drivers and then created a new capture image) or is there a difference between how they're loaded?

If I boot to the Capture Image wim file, if I use the cmd line and check the driver store, I can see the files HAVE been loaded in the PXE file system, they're just not being loaded.

I am extremely confused.

Regards

Clifford

Wednesday, March 05, 2014 2:39 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

When capture the image, include Microsoft-Windows-PnpSysprep/PersistAllDeviceInstalls in your unattended file. This enables to maintain drivers for undetectable hardware. For more information:

Maintain Driver Configurations when Capturing a Windows Image

Subtitle “To maintain driver configurations by using an answer file

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh825712.aspx

In addition, can you share the document you have referred to?

Thank you.

Friday, March 07, 2014 5:34 AM
  • Hi Daniel,

thanks for replying.

I've not been clear in my fault description. I can install images without problem. My issue is when capturing the image. I am finding that as new models of PC's come out, they may have network cards that are not recognised by the Window 8 boot.wim file I have used to create the install and capture images.

I have used the Windows 2012 WDS GUI to add the required driver packages for the model of PC. That has worked for one new model I have, but not for the latest. What I have found is that the drivers appear to be added to the driver store in the Windows PE install, but are not loaded at capture image startup, therefore meaning I have no ability to send the image back to the WDS server.

When I have located the images in the DriverStore folder I can use the drvload <path to inf file> and then the wpeutil initializenetwork command to load the driver and then get an IP address. But the driver isn't loaded during the PE load, meaning I can't reliably continue with the image capture without manual intervention. Whilst I can document this process, I want to make the image capture process as simple as possible.

We have many customers who buy the same model of PC, however even though they are retail versions of the professional version of Windows 7, they often have extraneous software that we don't want to send to our customers. Therefore we remove this software, make sure it has the latest Windows updates and then re-pack before we send to the customer. By using an image that we can update/replace throughout the year, we can ensure that we have a consistent look and feel and also reduce the time it takes to update the PC with updates onsite.

I am looking to understand the process as to why this might be happening. If I take the same PC and boot it into the install image, the NIC driver IS loaded. As the capture image is derived from the install image, the driver IS installed in the wim file, for some reason it isn't loading automatically.

As an aside, I am assuming I can use wim files from newer operating systems than the WDS server? For instance, I started this process with the Windows 8 wim file, I assume I can use the Windows 8.1 wim file if required.

• Edited by Cliff1967 Saturday, March 08, 2014 2:42 AM
    Saturday, March 08, 2014 2:37 AM
  • Hi,

Did you customize drivers via Microsoft-Windows-PnpCustomizationsWinPE in an answer file?

If so you should change the bind to the capture image when you choose to use the capture image.

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 5:20 AM
  • Hi,

What's the  current situation? Is the issue resolved?

Friday, March 14, 2014 1:35 AM