none
Adding space to DFSR

Question

• Greetings,

I have a 2008 bare metal server that's the AD partner for another 2008 server at the other end of a T-1 WAN distributing DFSR and AD services. Nothing real fancy in that regard, and I have about 400gig worth of data being replicated across DFS. Everything works golden

Unfortunately one of the servers was set up with half the drive space as the other, and is running out of space on the DFS share. Both servers are running with simple RAID 1 and two drives, so my thought was to simply add two more drives to the server running out of space as another RAID 1 (controller can likely do this). I would then convert the current drive (in windows) to dynamic (currently basic), and span the volume across the new drive array that was created. However, I have little experience working with DFSR, and while this looks good on paper I don't want to cause issues with DFSR for obvious reasons. Advice, tips or alternatives appreciated.

Sunday, July 14, 2013 8:58 PM

Answers

• theoretically this is operational that you first convert the current disk that holding the DFS replica folder to dynamic, then extend the volume with the new disk. But you need to contact the RAID vendor support service to confirm this.

For the sake of safety,  you can use third party disk imaging software (for example, Ghost) to take a image of the source volume you wish to extend as a backup incase an unexpected problem happens, and then restore this image to the new bigger disk.

TechNet Subscriber Support |If you have any feedback on Technet forum, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 2:10 AM

All replies

• theoretically this is operational that you first convert the current disk that holding the DFS replica folder to dynamic, then extend the volume with the new disk. But you need to contact the RAID vendor support service to confirm this.

For the sake of safety,  you can use third party disk imaging software (for example, Ghost) to take a image of the source volume you wish to extend as a backup incase an unexpected problem happens, and then restore this image to the new bigger disk.

TechNet Subscriber Support |If you have any feedback on Technet forum, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 2:10 AM
  • Thanks for the feedback. Just curious...why are you suggesting third party imaging tools -vs- microsoft's own backup? Are the Windows back-up recovery tools still that bad? Also, cramming 400gb of customer files into a single fault prone data file (disk image) would seem to be inferior than a direct file level backup.
    Tuesday, July 16, 2013 2:06 PM
  • Yes, you are right. I take back that part in my previous post.

Thursday, July 18, 2013 8:15 AM