none
Possible to use both Tabular and Multidimentinal with same SharePoint 2013 farm?

Question

• I would like to build SharePoint 2013 based reporting portal with Power View as visualization tool.

Is it possible to install both Tabular and Multidimentional to same physical server?
    Is it possible that some Power View reports use tabular and others multidimentional?

Could above requirement work in production environment? Anybody tried?

Kenny_I

Saturday, June 21, 2014 1:52 PM

Answers

• Hi Kenny_I,

According to your description, you are going to create a PowerView report using SQL Server Analysis Services Multidimensional database or SSAS tabular model as data source in SharePoint 2013, now what you want to know is that is it possible to install both Tabular and Multidimensional to same physical server? And is it possible that some Power View reports use tabular and others Multidimensional?

Of course we can install both Tabular and Multidimensional to same physical server that had SharePoint 2013 installed. In my tested environment, I have installed all of them on the same server. And we can use tabular model and others Multidimensional database on individual PowerView report. However, it seems that we cannot use both tabular model and others Multidimensional database on the same Powerview report.

Even though we can install both Tabular and Multidimensional to same physical server, however in the production environment, the recommendation is that install them on different server, it will beneficial to troubleshooting the issue when some issue occur on the environment.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Regards,
    Charlie Liao

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Charlie Liao
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, June 23, 2014 2:59 AM