none
Increase lifespan SSDs

Question

• Hi,

My friend told me for increase lifespan for SSDs,do the following commands,

Such as: Paging,Power off hibernate,Disable superfetch ,defrag,Search Indexing,Temporary Files, Cache and Logs.Stop windows search service in services.msc  , Move temporary files,And.... .

Is this true?

It's better when the install SSDs on computer,windows automatic disable this function? or give the warning to user?

Thanks

Thursday, July 24, 2014 7:58 AM

Answers

• Windows allocates the page file so that the space will be there if it has to be used.  Leave it alone.

I advise not trying to second guess Windows.  It's complex, but it works. 

If you want to tweak it, that's fine, but before changing things try to learn as much as you can about what works and what doesn't.  Don't take everything everyone says literally.  And understand that a lot of the things you find online are from a couple of years ago - things have changed.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my eBooks:  

Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options
    Configure The Windows 8 "To Work" Options

• Marked as answer by Arash_89 Sunday, July 27, 2014 6:06 AM
    Sunday, July 27, 2014 12:40 AM

All replies

• Hi,

These items you mentioned, paging,power off hibernate, disable superfetch, defrag, stop windows search service , these are necessary functions for windows to run normally, SSD provides a faster reading or writing speed for the system , Windows will not disable these function or give warning to users if it is running at a normal status.

If you have any other problems, you can post it back.

Regards

Wade Liu
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, July 25, 2014 12:52 PM
  • Thank you for reply,

We know lifespan of SSDs is limited.The lifespan of an SSD is measured in these program-erase (P/E) cycles.

But the above function does many write on SSDs.

Since these technologies are all designed to improve performance on traditional HDDs, where random read performance could easily be a major bottleneck.Now in SSDs we have high Read/Write speed.

• Edited by Arash_89 Friday, July 25, 2014 2:33 PM
    Friday, July 25, 2014 2:26 PM
  • With modern SSDs you really don't need to worry about the lifespan, as they do internal wear leveling and can run for years with very heavy write loads.

What model SSD do you have?

-Noel

Saturday, July 26, 2014 4:35 AM
  • 128GB

http://www.adata.com/index.php?action=product_feature&cid=3&piid=286

Saturday, July 26, 2014 4:55 AM
  • I install 16GB ram on computer, Only 3GB used.

But windows allocated 3000MB Page file on hard disk!!! Why?

Why windows operating system don't used RAM?

Saturday, July 26, 2014 8:53 PM
  • Windows allocates the page file so that the space will be there if it has to be used.  Leave it alone.

I advise not trying to second guess Windows.  It's complex, but it works. 

If you want to tweak it, that's fine, but before changing things try to learn as much as you can about what works and what doesn't.  Don't take everything everyone says literally.  And understand that a lot of the things you find online are from a couple of years ago - things have changed.

-Noel

• Marked as answer by Arash_89 Sunday, July 27, 2014 6:06 AM
    Sunday, July 27, 2014 12:40 AM
  • Please review: Windows 8.1 SSD Settings, Etc.

Carey Frisch

Sunday, July 27, 2014 4:41 AM
  • Please review: Windows 8.1 SSD Settings, Etc.

Carey Frisch

Thanks,but Where from know this commands and instructions are secure and true?
    • Edited by Arash_89 Sunday, July 27, 2014 6:15 AM
    Sunday, July 27, 2014 6:14 AM
  • Hi,

Please explain it.

Windows allocates the page file so that the space will be there if it has to be used.  Leave it alone.

I install 16GB ram on computer, Only 3GB used.

But windows allocated 3000MB Page file on hard disk!!! Why?

Why windows operating system don't used RAM?

Monday, July 28, 2014 6:07 PM
  • Hi Arash,

I want to know a 32bit Windows or 64bit windows do you use? Because a 32bit system only can detect a 4Gb RAM  only, no matter how much memory you have installed on your computer.

Regards

Wade Liu

Tuesday, July 29, 2014 7:19 AM
  • Hi,

Attached.

• Edited by Arash_89 Tuesday, July 29, 2014 7:29 AM
    Tuesday, July 29, 2014 7:22 AM
  • I'm curious about the existence of swapfile.sys in that list though.

• Edited by Arash_89 Tuesday, July 29, 2014 1:18 PM
    Tuesday, July 29, 2014 1:17 PM
  • In you opinion better i decrease amount of page file? or no?
    Tuesday, July 29, 2014 3:06 PM
  • Hi,

A paging file is an area on the hard disk that Windows uses as if it were RAM, When the system boots up, the Session Manager process determines the list of page files to open by reading the value in the HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PagingFiles.  This value contains the name of the paging file as well as the minimum and maximum size of each paging file.

You donot necessarily modify the paging file size, it is a normal situation, you can also find more details about this here:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/archive/2007/12/14/what-is-the-page-file-for-anyway.aspx

Regards

Wade Liu

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 3:08 AM