none
Replace Permission on List Item does not remove inheritance - Sharepoint 2010 Workflow

Question

• I am using workflow Impersonation Step -> Replace List Item Permissions to set unique permissions on list items.   The replace permissions works.  After the workflow executes, I view List Item permissions and I see my new permissions but the list item is still set to Inherit permissions from the list.   Therefore, if anyone changes permissions on the list itself, the List Items revert back to Inherit permissions settings. 

All of the tutorials/instructions I have reviewed indicate the inheritance gets replaced when Relace Permissions is used.  Is there a setting that needs to be changed?  Or is this a bug?

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 6:07 PM

All replies

• Use Add Permissions and then Remove Permissions instead of replace.

so add XYZ permissions for which ever user/s it is for
    then remove ABC permissions for the same users

This will break the inheritance of the list permissions.

Regards

Sergio Giusti
    http://sergioblogs.blog.co.uk/

Whenever you see a reply and if you think is helpful, click " Alternate Text Vote As Helpful". And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the question of the thread, click " Alternate Text Mark As Answer".

Thursday, June 27, 2013 8:55 AM
  • Tried the add/remove but still inheriting.   Maybe I am misunderstanding your instructions, this is what I need to occur:

My List Permissions:   Group A - full control,  All Users - Read

I need workflow to remove All Users -Read access and add an individual user (assignee) to any new List Item.

Final List Item Permissions:  Group A - full control,  Assignee- Contribute

I tried Add Permissions:  Group A - full control,  All Users - Read, user1 - Contribute

then Remove All Users - Read

Thursday, June 27, 2013 6:37 PM
  • you arent doing anything wrong, adding or removing any permissions from the item should break the inheritance. i will try and replicate this issue and come back to you.

Regards

Sergio Giusti
    http://sergioblogs.blog.co.uk/

Whenever you see a reply and if you think is helpful, click " Alternate Text Vote As Helpful". And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the question of the thread, click " Alternate Text Mark As Answer".

Friday, June 28, 2013 9:18 AM