none
Upgrade 2008 R2 Enterprise to 2012 Possible? If so, what to download

Question

• Hi, I have a test machine set up with server 2008 r2 enterprise.  I'm trying to perform an in-place upgrade to server 2012, and can't find the version I need.  I have tried server 2012 datacenter, standard, and volume licensing versions, and each time, I get the error:

windows server 2008  enterprise cannot be upgraded to windows server....back up and format.

Is there an in place upgrade path from 2008 R2 enterprise to 2012?  If so, can someone tell me exactly what to download, either from Technet or from the VLSC?

Thanks,

Kevin

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 11:40 PM

Answers

All replies

• Here are some upgrade paths.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/archive/2012/10/22/windows-8-windows-server-2012-upgrade-paths-and-editions.aspx

Also some for R2 preview though I doubt it changed when it RTM'd

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn303416.aspx

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 1:44 AM
  • Thanks Dave, I went to the page you recommended, while grumbling something like:  "I Know this works on paper but it's not working for me", and then I noticed the 3 characters after Windows Server 2008 R2 that will probably make all the difference:  SP1.  I'm guessing that as soon as I install the service pack, things will work as expected.

Thanks again,

Kevin

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 12:52 PM
  • You're welcome. Yes that might be a prerequisite. May also want to run the system update readiness tool.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/What-is-the-System-Update-Readiness-Tool?SignedIn=1

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Thursday, October 31, 2013 12:49 AM
  • Yes, that did the trick.  I suppose if they tried to cover every scenario in an error message, it would get pretty out of hand.

Thanks again,

Kevin
    Thursday, October 31, 2013 12:51 AM
  • You're welcome. Glad to hear its sorted.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Thursday, October 31, 2013 1:28 AM
  • Hi, I have a test machine set up with server 2008 r2 enterprise.  I'm trying to perform an in-place upgrade to server 2012, and can't find the version I need.  I have tried server 2012 datacenter, standard, and volume licensing versions, and each time, I get the error:

windows server 2008  enterprise cannot be upgraded to windows server....back up and format.

Is there an in place upgrade path from 2008 R2 enterprise to 2012?  If so, can someone tell me exactly what to download, either from Technet or from the VLSC?

Thanks,

Kevin

First it would be advisable to use a new server or better VM and then use both so you can migrate more easily.

No in-place upgrade would be advisable, it could make a real mess

Corsair Carbide 300R with window
    Corsair TX850V2 12V1 70A
    Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 CFX/SLI
    AMD Phenom II 965 C3 Black Edition @ 4.0 GHz
    G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133 8 GB
    EVGA GTX 660 Ti FTW Signature
    Asus PA238QR IPS LED HDMI DP 1080p
    ST2000DM001 & Windows 8.1 x64 Professional
    LG WH14NS40 14X Blu-Ray Writer BDXL 128GB
    Microsoft Wireless Desktop 2000
    Wacom Bamboo CHT470M

Thursday, October 31, 2013 1:34 AM
  • Bah!  I'll save that for the spring when I have time.  That's what testing environments are for...

Why are you so down on in-place upgrades? 

I'm looking at several 2008R2 DCs That I'd love to upgrade by clicking a button.

Thursday, October 31, 2013 2:01 PM