none
Windows Explorer stops showing files or no file thumbnails

Question

• I'm really tired and angry with a very annoying error of windows explorer.

windows explorer is getting crashed while opening any folders accidentally, especially folders with large number of files and images. first it appears as windows explorer is unable to load files thumbnails (any kind of files) and appears as white or blank icons regardless the type of file. then when opening my computer in another window , it couldn't load even contents of drivers and hangs as "searching for items".

all this happens suddenly after weeks of normal windows usage. I resolve it by backing up system using Acronis image. but the problem persists. I tried virus scan with no success using AVG. I made thorough scan for C with no result too.

Note that this problem I found with Windows 7 and it forced me to upgrade to Windows 8 then I'm experiencing the same problem now. I don't Understand why.

Please help quickly

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 12:38 PM

All replies

• windows explorer is getting crashed

problem I found with Windows 7

Both would have Reliability monitor events to look at.  If it is really the same symptom the two events would probably be very similar.  Equivalent details and perhaps more available in the Event log.

For a guess try avoiding using "shell extensions" or at least simplify your File Explorer View.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 7:43 PM
  • Thanks Robert for reply but what's the "Shell extensions" and what's meant by simplifying file view?
    Wednesday, August 21, 2013 8:54 PM
  • Hi Professor Hany,

Please try the following methods to solve this issue:

Method 1: Perform System maintenance troubleshooter

1. Press Windows + R on the keyboard.
    2. Type control panel in the search box and press Enter.
    3. Type troubleshooter in the search box, and press Enter.
    4. Click Troubleshooting, and click view all in the left pane.
    5. Click System maintenance and follow the steps in the wizard.

Method 2: Run SFC Scan

System File Checker (SFC) scan can troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on your computer.

1. Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, type cmd in the Start,      right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator      in the bpottom. If you      are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the      password, or click Yes.
    2. At the command prompt, type the command sfc /scannow      and then press ENTER.

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct.

Method 3: Perform a clean boot.

A clean boot helps to verify if any third party application service or startup item is causing this issue. For your information, please review this KB article to put the computer in clean boot:

How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista

Note: Make sure you put the computer back to Normal Startup once you have done with the troubleshooting.

For your information, please refer to the following links to get more help:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/search-index-faq

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/search-file-explorer

Regards,

Lany Zhang

Thursday, August 22, 2013 6:05 AM
  • Many Thanks Lany Zhang for Help

I'm trying these action and will give feedback later.

But Thanks very much anyhow.

Best Regards

Thursday, August 22, 2013 3:11 PM
  • Here's feedback
    System maintenance troubleshooter: None.

System File Checker (SFC) : None

Clean boot : unable to perform it (I didn't know how to make it).

I'm afraid the problem persists.

Note that I think you don't read or get it.

I made recovered system from Acronis Image (Very good system status) and not worked.

I'm using Ubuntu (Linux) 13.04 alongside Windows and HDD is working very well.

So I don' think It's a problem in HDD, or System files.which make the problem moreannoying and confusing.

another note : I faced this problem two months ago with Windows 7 and found no solution so I switched to Windows 8. and now I'm having the same error.

Thursday, August 22, 2013 3:47 PM

• windows explorer is getting crashed while opening any folders accidentally

Do you get the message "Explorer stopped working"?

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Thursday, August 22, 2013 4:56 PM
    Answerer
  • Not a message only endless loading with no icons appeared or blank icons regardless the type of file.
    Thursday, August 22, 2013 10:02 PM
  • Not a message only endless loading with no icons appeared or blank icons regardless the type of file.

That doesn't sound like a "crash".   No wonder you were unable to find anything in Reliability Monitor or Event Viewer.   Then all the more reason to try changing the View to something simpler, e.g. no preview pane, no thumbnails, just Details and regular icons.  (e.g. via View tab, and Options for Folder Options View tab)

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, August 23, 2013 2:56 AM
  •  Then all the more reason to try changing the View to something simpler, e.g. no preview pane, no thumbnails, just Details and regular icons.  (e.g. via View tab, and Options for Folder Options View tab)
    this is a good idea.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Friday, August 23, 2013 5:12 AM
    Answerer
  • I found that when making thorough disk scan It hangs at 30% for about an hour or less more. this happens three time in three scans.
    is it HDD error? although HDD tuner pro shows no error in HDD and say it's perfect !!
    Friday, August 23, 2013 2:23 PM