none
Application Data Folder Redirection Performance

Question

• We have about 1200 Concurrent users on about 120 Windows 2003 Citrix servers.

Application Data is redirected to one server with the following settings:

AppData(Roaming)
    Setting: Basic (Redirect everyone's folder to the same location)
    Path: \\servername\sharename\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming
    Options
    Grant user exclusive rights to AppData(Roaming)
    Disabled
    Move the contents of AppData(Roaming) to the new location
    Disabled
    Also apply redirection policy to Windows 2000, Windows 2000 server, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003 operating systems
    Disabled
    Policy Removal Behavior
    Leave contents

Ever since we deployed Chrome to the Citrix environment, the AppData performance has been abysmal. At peak times, users experience slow performance at unmanageable levels. 

When looking at the resource monitor on the server where Application Data is redirected, the CPU, Memory, Network and Disk utilization is minimal. There doesn't appear to be any problem with resources on the server. Yet it can be seen from the constant disk writes that there is some kind of bottleneck somewhere.

1. The server is a VM that resides on an HP Blade in a c7000 chasis with a 10gb connection to the network.  

2. When the server is rebooted during this extreme load during peak times, users report that everything is back to good performance.

This server is definitely at the root of the problem and I suspect Chrome's massive number of continuous writes to AppData files are the culprit, yet there doesn't seem to be any apparent reason for it when looking at server resources.

What could be slowing this down?

Wednesday, January 29, 2014 4:32 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If we suspect Chrome I would run a small filemon to see what file Chrome read/write a lot.

Remove the file from the AV's scan on the remote fileserver could be a possible workaround, or to change the location of Chrome to not sync back.

What version of Citrix do you use ? I know on 2003 you can go up to version XenApp 5.5, 6 does not support 2003.

So.. if 5 and +, I would tend to suggest to publish Chrome in streaming/offline mode, thus it will use the cpu and cache of the local endpoint where you want to run Chrome. Just an idea.

Regards, Philippe

Thursday, January 30, 2014 2:24 AM

All replies

• Hi,

If we suspect Chrome I would run a small filemon to see what file Chrome read/write a lot.

Remove the file from the AV's scan on the remote fileserver could be a possible workaround, or to change the location of Chrome to not sync back.

What version of Citrix do you use ? I know on 2003 you can go up to version XenApp 5.5, 6 does not support 2003.

So.. if 5 and +, I would tend to suggest to publish Chrome in streaming/offline mode, thus it will use the cpu and cache of the local endpoint where you want to run Chrome. Just an idea.

Regards, Philippe

Thursday, January 30, 2014 2:24 AM
  • Individual instances of chrome do not read/write a lot. However if you accumulate several instances over several severs the increase in writes to appdata is exponential. It's like a DOS attack. I can't get Google to understand this. They want me to take logs of one individual when it's not an individual problem.

Citrix 4.5 on Windows 2003. The file server Application Data is redirected to is 2008 R2.

I agree, the only thing I can think of is to point Chrome's user data specifically back to the local profile for each user on each server.

Thursday, January 30, 2014 3:33 PM