none
DFS in 2012

General discussion

• Maybe I'm just not used to the new interface but I can't find any DFS management tools in Windows 2012.  I had DFSR set up in W2K8R2 and I upgraded the machines to 2012 but I can no longer find how to manage those DFS shares.  What am I missing?  I searched both the internet and this site and came up empty :-(

Thanks

Bert

Friday, September 21, 2012 3:16 AM

All replies

• Hello Bert, 

Have you updated AD schema to 2012? if not, try to update if your DC running 2K12.I suggest you check below information and act accordingly.

Requirements for running DFS Management: There are no additional hardware or software requirements for running DFS Management or using DFS Namespaces, except for the newly added features described previously, which require Windows Server 2012 (or in some cases Windows 8).

Before you can deploy DFS Replication, you must configure your servers as follows:

• Update the Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS) schema to include Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2008, or Windows Server 2003 R2 schema additions. (If you install a domain controller running Windows Server 2012 the schema is automatically updated.) You cannot use read-only replicated folders with the Windows Server 2003 R2 or older schema additions. 
    • Ensure that all servers in a replication group are located in the same forest. You cannot enable replication across servers in different forests.
    • Install DFS Replication on all servers that will act as members of a replication group. 
    • Contact your antivirus software vendor to check that your antivirus software is compatible with DFS Replication. 
    • Locate any folders that you want to replicate on volumes formatted with the NTFS file system. DFS Replication does not support the Resilient File System (ReFS) or the FAT file system. DFS Replication also does not support replicating content stored on Cluster Shared Volumes.

More DFS details you can find in:http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831568.aspx

Regards, Ravikumar P

Friday, September 21, 2012 7:15 AM
  • You can install the tool manually if you want, but the reason why it was not installed automatically can be different, you should analyze your system deeply.

For add it manually use Add Roles and Features.

Best Regards

Friday, September 21, 2012 9:52 AM
  • Hi Ravikumar,

My domain and forest are at 2012 level.  DFSR is set up and running (at least I think it is still functioning.  It was running fine before the upgrade) I just can't find any management tools.  In W2K8R2, I just went into the Administrative Tools and clicked on DFS Management.  I can find no equivalent in 2012.

As an aside, how do you add/remove role services in 2012?  I can see that File Services is installed but I don't know what services are installed.  I am assuming that because DFS was installed before the upgrade it should still be there but I don't know.  I could find out in W2K8R2 by going into Server Manager and checking the status of the File Services role, but there doesn't seem to be an equivalent in 2012.

Bert

Friday, September 21, 2012 12:43 PM
  • Hi Svyatoslav,

How do you add the tool manually?  I have been unable to find anything that would allow me to do tha.  I even checked Help and Support but there is nothing in there concerning DFS.  I found that rather odd as well.

Bert

Friday, September 21, 2012 12:45 PM
  • DFS Namespaces and DFS Replication are a part of the File and Storage Services role. The management tools for DFS (DFS Management, the DFS Namespaces module for Windows PowerShell, and command-line tools) are installed separately as part of the Remote Server Administration Tools.

To install DFS by using Server Manager

• Open Server Manager, click Manage, and then click Add Roles and Features. The Add Roles and Features Wizard appears.

• On the Server Selection page, select the server or virtual hard disk (VHD) of an offline virtual machine on which you want to install DFS.

• Select the role services and features that you want to install.

• To install the DFS Namespaces and DFS Replication services, on the Server Roles page, select DFS Namespaces and DFS Replication.
      • To install only the DFS Management Tools, on the Features page, expand Remote Server Administration Tools, Role Administration Tools, expand File Services Tools, and then select DFS Management Tools.

DFS Management Tools installs the DFS Management snap-in, the DFS Namespaces module for Windows PowerShell, and command-line tools, but it does not install any DFS services on the server.

The above information is pulled from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj127250.aspx#BKMK_UI

tim

Friday, September 21, 2012 6:19 PM
  • Hi Tim,

Thanks for the detailed description but the Server Roles page does not contain anything pertaining to DFS.  It does list "File and Storage Services" but that is greyed out because it is already installed.

On the Features page, Remote Server Administration Tools is also greyed out because it is already installed.

In general, how do you determine which Role Services are installed for a particular role in 2012?  How do you add or delete these services?  In W2K8R2, it was pretty simple but I haven't found how to do the same thing in 2012.

Bert

OnEdit:  Found it.  I assumed that because something was greyed out in the selection box, you couldn't select it.  You can.  I drilled down into the Remote Admin Tools and found the DFS Management tool and installed it.  Thanks
    • Edited by Bert Penney Friday, September 21, 2012 7:04 PM
    Friday, September 21, 2012 6:52 PM
  • Hello Bert

to determine which features and roles are installed you can use PowerShell, just run Get-WindowsFeature cmdlet to get all info about currently installed/not installed features.

if you see DFS Management Tools are installed, try run mmc.exe and manually add DFS Management  Snap-In to the console, or simplify uninstall and install it again.

B\R

Monday, September 24, 2012 7:16 AM
  • Here is some additional information for those of you who are still stuck. I was having the same problem as the original poster. In the "Add Roles and Features Wizard", I saw that "File and Storage Services" was marked as "Installed", had a check mark in the box on the left, and was grayed out. There was no "DFS" in the list.

But then I noticed the little triangle beside that item. When I clicked on that, it expanded to show me the "DFS" items which were not installed and I could install them.
    Friday, June 28, 2013 7:35 PM
  • Brilliant!

That is what I needed. I was looking all over for it as well and it was right there under my nose. The little drop down triangle. I suppose going to a 2012 class may of help me understand the new UI better, but thanks for the tip!

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 12:31 PM