none
Migrate from Exchange 2007 to Exchange 2010

Question

• We currently have Exchange 2007 SP2 running on Windows Server 2003 x64. We are planning on upgrading to Exchange 2010 running on a Windows Server 2008 R2. I have verified that our new server meets all Exchange 2010 requirements and our domain function level is Windows Server 2008.
    First I am going to install the client access role on the new server. We do have users that connect via Outlook Web Access so I need to configure the internet facing domain name. My question is do I put in our current internet facing domain name in here or do I create a new one?
    Tuesday, June 05, 2012 4:45 PM

All replies

• Another question...I am getting the following error message during the client access role prerequisite check: "The nominated Exchange server for offline address book has been deleted nominate a valid server and restart setup"

We do not user OAB is our current Exchange environment and do not plan to in Exchange 2010, how do I bypass this error? It will not allow me to continue with the installation.

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 4:56 PM
  • Hi
        You second question. You can read this case and remove it through adedit.
       http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvrdeploy/thread/cd289ce7-0896-40c3-8722-2ce541bf8813/
        I can’t understand your first question clearly. I think you should put existing domain name.

Terence Yu

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, June 06, 2012 6:20 AM
  • Have a look at this http://www.exchangeranger.com/2012/04/nominated-exchange-server-for-offline.html
    In case of 2007, change it from EMC...OrgConfiguration...Mailbox...Offline Address Book

We do not user OAB is our current Exchange environment and do not plan to in Exchange 2010
    So what do you use?

Gulab Prasad,
    gulab@exchangeranger.com
    My Blog | Z-Hire Employee Provisioning App

Wednesday, June 06, 2012 10:52 AM
  • yes you can put your current internet faceing domain name for new Exchange 2010 and once you do the OWA Cutover, change Exchange 2007 URLs for legacy.xxxx.com,  at the same time, change DNS to current internet face domain name  to New Exchange CAS Server( if it's NLB, NLB IP ), if you have TMG, publish Current Name to Exchange 2010 & publish legacy name to Exchange 2007 CAS Servers.
    Wednesday, June 06, 2012 12:22 PM
  • In this TechNet article http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd638158.aspx it lists the order in which I should install the Exchange roles. I know that I need to configure the legacy host name for the Exchange 2007 server but I am not sure where in the process I do so. Do I install the Client Access Role, then configure the legacy host name and then install the remaining roles? Or do I install all roles at once and then configure the legacy host name? We also have an Edge Transport server which I need to upgrade as well, where does that fall in?
    Wednesday, June 06, 2012 1:23 PM
  • I also read that if you have mailbox databases that have the default name of "Mailbox Database.edb' that can cause problems. Do I need to rename those database or can I keep them. I am planning on creating new databases on the 2010 server but I want to make sure that when I install Exchange 2010 it does not cause a problem with these default named databases.
    Wednesday, June 06, 2012 3:25 PM
  • I also read that if you have mailbox databases that have the default name of "Mailbox Database.edb' that can cause problems. Do I need to rename those database or can I keep them. I am planning on creating new databases on the 2010 server but I want to make sure that when I install Exchange 2010 it does not cause a problem with these default named databases.

Where did you read that? It's not true, so no you don't need to rename your existing databases

The only think you need to think about is that Exchange 2010 requires unique names of the databases.

Martina Miskovic

Wednesday, June 06, 2012 6:46 PM
  • Ok that's good. Here is the link to the article: http://www.simple-talk.com/sysadmin/exchange/exchange-2010-high-availability/

My last question is in regards to the order in which I upgrade. I have look through many of the technet articles but I just want to make sure I have it correct. Here is my plan:

1. Upgrade Exchange 2007 to SP2 (done)

2. Install the Exchange 2010 Client Access Role

3. Change the domain name space for the Exchange 2007 server to a legacy name.

4. Install Hub Transport Role and then create new edge subscription so that current 2007 Edge server can sync with Exchange 2010.

5. Then install Mailbox server role and move mailboxes to Exchange 2010

After which step do I change the MX record in our internal DNS server so that it reflects the new Exchange server?

Can I install all these roles at once or should it be one at a time?

Will any of these steps produce any downtime or can they be done silently with out the user knowing?

Thursday, June 07, 2012 12:29 PM
  • Ok that's good. Here is the link to the article: http://www.simple-talk.com/sysadmin/exchange/exchange-2010-high-availability/

My last question is in regards to the order in which I upgrade. I have look through many of the technet articles but I just want to make sure I have it correct. Here is my plan:

1. Upgrade Exchange 2007 to SP2 (done)

2. Install the Exchange 2010 Client Access Role

3. Change the domain name space for the Exchange 2007 server to a legacy name.

4. Install Hub Transport Role and then create new edge subscription so that current 2007 Edge server can sync with Exchange 2010.

5. Then install Mailbox server role and move mailboxes to Exchange 2010

After which step do I change the MX record in our internal DNS server so that it reflects the new Exchange server?

Can I install all these roles at once or should it be one at a time?

Will any of these steps produce any downtime or can they be done silently with out the user knowing?

If you are installing all roles on the same server, I would just go ahead and install all 3 at the same time.  This will not hurt your plan at all and will simplify the install process.  The rest of your plan looks ok.

One item that you will need to do is copy the Exchange 2007 OWA virtual directory to the Exchange 2010 OWA virtual directory so that you can redirect requests properly over to Exchange 2007 mailboxes.

1.  Upgrade Exchange 2007 to SP2

2.  Install Exchange 2010 CAS, HT and MB roles.  Install SP2 and Update RollUp 2 (or possibly SP3 by this time)

3.  Configure a Client Access Array (even though you are using one server) and assign the domain names already in use.  On the Exchange 2007 side change the external URLs to legacy

4.  Verify that Internal Connectors are created between Exchange 2007 and 2010 and test mailflow.  Then setup Outbound mailflow from Exchange 2010 to smarthost/Internet and test from a Exchange 2010 Mailbox

5.  Flip Mailflow so that Exchange 2007 outbound goes through Exchange 2010 and incoming mail goes through Exchange 2010.

6.  Setup DAG and Mailbox Database (and Public Folders if needed) and migrate mailboxes to Exchange 2010.

7.  Verify that you can connect from Outlook and Webmail and ActiveSync.

Jason Apt, Microsoft Certified Master | Exchange 2010 My Blog

Friday, June 08, 2012 4:16 PM
  • Ok I have the 2010 client access, hub transport, and mailbox server, roles installed. I changed the external namespace on the 2007 Exchange server to legacy.xxx.com.

OWA is working but it looks the same as when I accessed the 2007 OWA in terms of the login screen. How do get the Exchange 2010 login interface. This is not a big deal I just think it looks nicer.

Also I don’t understand how my Outlook users are going to switch over to the new server for client access or has that already taken place by just installing a new 2010 server?

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 3:25 PM
  • check you old URL (mail.mycompany.com ) still is pointing to Old CAS Servers, if it's , change DNS Entry to New CAS Servers. for 2007 user, it's automatically redirect to 2007 CAS Servers.
    Thursday, June 14, 2012 7:05 AM
  • As a test I used the host file to map the new Exchange 2010 CAS to the IP address of the Exchange 2007 server. I created a an entry for the Exchange 2007 server (legacy.mail.com) and mapped that to a  new IP. When I try and launch Outlook I get the following error message:

"Cannot open your default email folders. Microsoft Exchange is not available. Either there are network problems or the Exchange computer is down for maintenance."

Is there something that needs to be configured on the 2010 CAS to redirect 2007 users to the old server? Thanks.

Thursday, June 14, 2012 1:44 PM
  • First, I would undo the changes to the host file. The host file has nothing to do with this.

Second...

I changed the external namespace on the 2007 Exchange server to legacy.xxx.com.

Is there something that needs to be configured on the 2010 CAS to redirect 2007 users to the old server? Thanks.

You still need to adjust certain DNS records on your (internal) DNS server - which is probably a domain controller as well (correct?).

Let's pretend your E2K7 server has IP address 10.0.0.7 and the E2K10 server IP address 10.0.0.10 (adjust as needed to match your IP addresses).

In the forward lookup zone on the DNS server, you should have something like this (once again, adjust as needed to match YOUR names):

mail.yourdomain.com   10.0.0.10

legacy.yourdomain.com    10.0.0.7

No host file required. 

Also I don’t understand how my Outlook users are going to switch over to the new server for client access or has that already taken place by just installing a new 2010 server?

By the modification of DNS records as explained above.

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Friday, June 15, 2012 12:07 AM
  • Two more things to avoid possible confusion...

Jason Apt suggested:

One item that you will need to do is copy the Exchange 2007 OWA virtual directory to the Exchange 2010 OWA virtual directory so that you can redirect requests properly over to Exchange 2007 mailboxes.

You have one E2K7 server and one E2K10 server, correct?

If they are both "Internet facing" (as it looks like they are), you do not need to worry about copying E2K7 files to the E2K10 server. That's only if you need to proxy to a E2K7 CAS in a "non Internet facing site".

If you only have one E2K10, you won't be using "DAG" and don't need to worry about that either.

For outbound mail, look at the configuration of the Send Connector on your E2K7 server. If you are using DNS (as opposed to a "Smart Host") then configure likewise on the E2K10 server (if you are using a Smart Host, well, configure likewise).

You wrote:

OWA is working but it looks the same as when I accessed the 2007 OWA in terms of the login screen. How do get the Exchange 2010 login interface. This is not a big deal I just think it looks nicer.

Users with a mailbox on the E2K7 will access it through the E2K7 server (CAS role). Therefore, the E2K7 login screen will still be used until you move their mailbox to the E2K10 server. Then they will get the new login screen.

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Friday, June 15, 2012 12:24 AM
  • Which DNS record should I be changing, the MX? The Exchange 2007 system has an MX and a Host (A). Thanks. 
    Friday, June 15, 2012 12:51 PM
  • A record

Saturday, June 16, 2012 1:37 AM
  • internal DNS A Only , from Firewall NAT IP address should be changed to New exchange Servers( this is for Receive Emails )
    Monday, June 18, 2012 6:02 AM
  • Le Pivert, I appreciate your response and I will certainly give you the credit if we can work this out.

By using the host file I am mapping a fqdn to an IP address which is the same thing that the DNS server does.  Although the host file does not have anything to do with this it does serve as a great test in this situation. By using the host file I did exactly what you are describing and that’s map the fqdn of the Exchange 2010 server to the original IP of the 2007 server. By using the host file I can test (from just my system) whether or not the Exchange 2010 server is going to redirect me to the 2007 server where my mailbox is stored. If I make the change that you are suggesting in the DNS then all Outlook clients will experience the same error that I did when changing the host file.  

Monday, June 18, 2012 3:11 PM
  • I've never done this otherwise than by following the procedures recommended by Microsoft (Exchange Deployment Assistant for example) and do not recall the use of a host file to redirect clients anywhere, even for practice.

Where have you configured this host file?

On your client machine?

The server that needs to locate the E2K7 server for redirection is the E2K10 server (not the client machine).

Let's try this:

User1 on PC1 contacts E2K10 for OWA session (since webmail.yourdomain.com or mail.yourdomain.com now points to E2K10, simply)

E2K10 determines that the mailbox of User1 is still on E2K7.

E2K10 attempts to redirect User1 to E2K7.

So it's E2K10 that's looking for E2K7, not PC1.

Lacking a legacy record in DNS for E2K7, this will not happen.

A host record, even correctly configured, on PC1, will not help E2K10 redirect the client to E2K7.

E2K10 cannot read the host file on PC1 for DNS resolution.

Monday, June 18, 2012 4:01 PM
  • Ok, that makes perfect sense. Yes I configured the host file on my local system located in this folder: C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

I think we're getting close. Here is where I am getting confused. How does the E2k10 server know that legacy.mail.com is the E2k7 server. Is that specified somewhere in the settings?

Monday, June 18, 2012 5:06 PM
  • When I was learning this, I asked myself the same question.

Yes, I think it is something in the internal programming of E2K10.

In fact, once I was able to make it work (I've practiced this quite a few times), I did not pursue the matter.

Monday, June 18, 2012 6:22 PM
  • I understand this is an old post but it still does not have an answer marked for it.  Would you please mark any post(s) as helpful and/or as an answer if you have a chance?

Thanks,

Jason

Jason Apt, Microsoft Certified Master | Exchange 2010 My Blog

Friday, January 10, 2014 7:31 PM