none
Outlook GPO

Question

• Our company uses OUtlook 2007 only. I have a GPO that controls Outlook.

We are now adding Outlook 2013 and I will be creating the GPO to control that version. If both policies are on the same OU, will the 2013 policies have any affect on Outlook 2007 and vice-versa?

Thanks

I realize this is a policy question, but someone here has probably dealt with this.

MJK

Friday, September 27, 2013 1:37 PM

Answers

• Hi, there should be no negative affect. (and my own company experience agrees)

most of the settings for Office products are version-specific, and, there are GPO Admin Templates for each version of Office.

e.g.: Office2003 is v11, Office2007 is v12, Office2010 is v14, Office2013 is v15

So, mostly, the registry settings from the Office2007 templates are read/written to: path\Office12\path
    and Office2013 is: path\Office15\path

The exceptions to this are things like the user information, which is version-agnostic (since the username and initials are not reasonably tied to the particular version of Office)

So, I find it more important to remember to "duplicate" the desired settings when a new version of Office is being implemented, since the settings we mostly use in my company have to be re-created for each version.

Does this help?

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Marked as answer by akg414s Tuesday, October 01, 2013 2:10 PM
    Friday, September 27, 2013 9:56 PM

All replies

• Hi, there should be no negative affect. (and my own company experience agrees)

most of the settings for Office products are version-specific, and, there are GPO Admin Templates for each version of Office.

e.g.: Office2003 is v11, Office2007 is v12, Office2010 is v14, Office2013 is v15

So, mostly, the registry settings from the Office2007 templates are read/written to: path\Office12\path
    and Office2013 is: path\Office15\path

The exceptions to this are things like the user information, which is version-agnostic (since the username and initials are not reasonably tied to the particular version of Office)

So, I find it more important to remember to "duplicate" the desired settings when a new version of Office is being implemented, since the settings we mostly use in my company have to be re-created for each version.

Does this help?

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Marked as answer by akg414s Tuesday, October 01, 2013 2:10 PM
    Friday, September 27, 2013 9:56 PM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if Don's information was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Cheers,
    Tony Chen
    Forum Support

Monday, September 30, 2013 5:48 AM
  • Thanks Don.

MJK

Tuesday, October 01, 2013 2:11 PM