none
Excel 2010 Undo Crash

Question

• We have a medium sized excel sheet with 5 tabs that handles our production scheduling. Most of the cells contain a vlookup formula to look at data on another tab. We have not been having issues with inserting the cells or any other of the functions but if I insert some copied cells and insert them into another location everything is fine, unless I try to undo it. As soon as I hit undo if i've made a mistake excel stops responding.

Does anybody have an idea what would be causing this behavior and what we could do to fix it? We have tried office 2007 and 2010 and they both respond in this manner.

Friday, March 25, 2011 2:54 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Create a new Excel file and try to insert copied cells again. If you can, this is related to some specific files.

If the problem persists, start Excel in safe mode and test the issue again.

To start Excel in safe mode. Click Start, point to All Programs, and then point to Microsoft Office. Press and hold the CTRL key, and then click the Excel program.

Sincerely

• Proposed as answer by Harry Yuan Thursday, March 31, 2011 2:41 AM
    • Marked as answer by Harry Yuan Thursday, March 31, 2011 2:41 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by David Wolters Tuesday, September 04, 2012 3:05 PM
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 2:48 AM
  • I too find "Undo" very dangerous - Excel 2010 crashes about one time in three and you can't back out.  One curses every time one forgets.  There needs to be an "Undo real time undo" so that when that fatal little circling starts you can back out.
    Saturday, August 27, 2011 8:08 PM
  • How is this a solution? The problem occurs when using the undo button or CTRL-Z, not when inserting. I've tried the Excel safe mode and the same things happens. Has anyone found a solution to this problem? Reparing Excel doesn't work.

Am I just not understanding what Harry is saying or doesn't Harry understand the problem?

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 11:10 AM
  • I agree, Harry's solution is not a solution.  I have a user with this exact problem (even to the point that it is a production planning workbook!) I can't believe no one at MS can come up with a better suggestion than Harry's.
    Tuesday, May 15, 2012 1:08 PM
  • I have exactly the same issue.  I'm here now because this crap just happenned to me (it's been happenning for months).  I googled my problem looking for a solution and found my way here.  It is simply unacceptable that MS has not fixed this.  I have to restart Excel everytime--sometimes I lose updates I have made before the problem starts.  I'm totally upset about this!!  Come on MS, this is your bread and butter (or maybe not anymore).
    Thursday, June 14, 2012 5:31 AM
  • Not that it helps, but I a having the same issue.  MS you need to get this fixed!  Hours of work has been lost because I instinctively use Ctl-Z and forget to save before doing it.  This is total garbage right now.  
    Friday, June 22, 2012 3:42 PM
  • Same as above posters, I have the exact same problem and been trying to find a solution for months but MS are just not interested.  Shame on them!

Friday, August 17, 2012 4:31 PM
  • I have the same problem, lost the work i've done, MS need to fix this!! this issue must have been on for sometime.........
    Tuesday, September 04, 2012 12:40 PM
  • Yes, please resolve this issue.

I've lost work I've done several times.

I don't believe how this issue wasn't detected before launch and how it's still an issue...

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 2:46 PM
  • I have exactly the same problem. I could vaguely understand it if I was trying to undo something huge, but even just undoing a paste into one cell makes it crash. It has just happened again, and all because I hovered over the Paste Special menu after having copied - I didn't even press Paste!
    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 4:51 PM
  • I was having the same problems with Excel, I've upgraded to Excel 2013 a few week, the problems is still remaning.

Friday, December 28, 2012 7:59 AM
  • I just had the same problem in Excel 2013 (15.0.4420.1017) MSO (15.0.4454.1002) 32-bit. Apparently I chose 'Undo' one too many times and Excel just closed. When I re-opened Excel I wasn't given the option to recover the data although I'm fairly certain I was working on the new workbook longer than the 10-minute default listed under the AutoRecovery options.
    Wednesday, January 23, 2013 3:07 PM