none
How can multiple users access same mailbox and send as that mailbox name?

Question

• Hey guys,

i have 2 users, and they need to receive all mail addressed to an info@ address.
    Also, if they reply to an email it ,that has been sent to the info@ address, has to be sent from the info@ address.
    Changes, deletions etc made by user1 should be seen by user2 and vice versa.

Anyone that can help me achieve this?

some info:
    Running SBS 2011
    Using remote.domain.com to check email/ can install outlook if its necessary.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 11:14 AM

Answers

• We have our primary orders@, info@ etc. addresses set up in this manner to allow "collaborative" use:

• Add Full Access and Send As permissions for the shared mailbox via the EMC under Recipient Configuration -> Mailbox
    • If using Outlook 2010 (or I believe 2007 with latest SP) the mailbox should appear automatically for any users with Full Access after restarting Outlook.

For sending from this new address properly, you may need to wait for (or force) the OAB to regenerate. If you try to use this new address in the From: field in Outlook and it doesn't validate via the OAB you will get an NDR regarding delegation/Send As privileges.

Two other issues to look at client-side:

If you are not going to be using Outlook for the clients, you will need to add the shared mailbox as a new IMAP account in your client of choice. The format for username varies depending on the client:

• Windows Live Mail: domain\Username\SharedMailboxName
    • Thunderbird: domain/Username/SharedMailboxName

SMTP settings for any client need to use the straight domain\Username format without the Shared Mailbox.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 4:02 PM
  • Hi,

I assumed that you are using the Exchange server 2010 in SBS 2011.

If the two users have its own mailbox, I think you need to create a mailbox then give the full access permission to the two users.

Towards the mailbox access permission, you could refer to the link below:

Title: Allow Mailbox Access
    URL: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa996343.aspx

If you would like to monitor the actions or behaviors taken by different users, I think you need to use Mailbox Auditing logging, for the detailed information you could refer to the article as followed:

Title: Understanding Mailbox Audit Logging
    URL: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff459237.aspx

Regards,
    James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, March 01, 2012 5:16 AM

All replies

• We have our primary orders@, info@ etc. addresses set up in this manner to allow "collaborative" use:

• Add Full Access and Send As permissions for the shared mailbox via the EMC under Recipient Configuration -> Mailbox
    • If using Outlook 2010 (or I believe 2007 with latest SP) the mailbox should appear automatically for any users with Full Access after restarting Outlook.

For sending from this new address properly, you may need to wait for (or force) the OAB to regenerate. If you try to use this new address in the From: field in Outlook and it doesn't validate via the OAB you will get an NDR regarding delegation/Send As privileges.

Two other issues to look at client-side:

If you are not going to be using Outlook for the clients, you will need to add the shared mailbox as a new IMAP account in your client of choice. The format for username varies depending on the client:

• Windows Live Mail: domain\Username\SharedMailboxName
    • Thunderbird: domain/Username/SharedMailboxName

SMTP settings for any client need to use the straight domain\Username format without the Shared Mailbox.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 4:02 PM
  • Hi,

I assumed that you are using the Exchange server 2010 in SBS 2011.

If the two users have its own mailbox, I think you need to create a mailbox then give the full access permission to the two users.

Towards the mailbox access permission, you could refer to the link below:

Title: Allow Mailbox Access
    URL: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa996343.aspx

If you would like to monitor the actions or behaviors taken by different users, I think you need to use Mailbox Auditing logging, for the detailed information you could refer to the article as followed:

Title: Understanding Mailbox Audit Logging
    URL: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff459237.aspx

Regards,
    James

James Xiong

Thursday, March 01, 2012 5:16 AM
  • Hi,

Any Update?

James

James Xiong