none
SBS 2003 SP2 WSUS 3.0 WRECKED by KB2720211

Question

• I've been to a lot of forums and tried lots of "solutions" that didn't work. 

I'm going to need to re-install WSUS 3.0 SP2 but I'm not sure of the scope of the job.

Has anyone else run into this?

I've tried the Reg Hack for SUSDB, I've tried re-installing KB2720211, I've tried SO many things, none of which worked.

KB2720211 now refuses to install claiming a problem in the installer.  In the meantime, no security updates, no nothing.  SQL 2005 Express Admin will not open the MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE database so I know of no way to check for single/multi-user settings on the DB.

My event logs now resemble the lights on the 'Vegas Strip.  This has been going on for a week.  Is there any SBS2003-specific thing I can try or must I re-install WSUS from scratch?  (Yes, I DO have a copy of MSICUU2).

TIA

Saturday, June 16, 2012 9:46 PM

Answers

• If you don't want to spend any more time in trying to resolve the issue, but just start fresh and get a working WSUS, I would suggest you do the following:

1) Set the wYukonInstalled registry key to 0 as described elsewhere in this thread

2) From add/remove programs, uninstall WSUS. Do not select the database for removal.

3) Download WSUS 3.0 SP2 installation package

4a) Either uninstall the Windows Internal database for WSUS with MsiExec.exe /X{CEB5780F-1A70-44A9-850F-DE6C4F6AA8FB} CALLERID=OCSETUP.EXE

or

4b) Download and install SQL 2008R2 Express edition with tools. Select 32-bit for 2003. Install to a directory you like. Install a named instance "WSUS", integrated authentication

5a) Install WSUS. If you removed the internal database, select to install it now again.

or

5b) Install WSUS. If you installed SQL 2008R2 Express, select the previously installed SQL instance called WSUS.

Syncronize and configure WSUS normally, and approve updates as needed.

Following the b) option will give you better control over the database in the future. Sharepoint and monitoring do not use the internal database, only WSUS.

Always make sure you have a working backup before doing major installations to a server.

• Marked as answer by BRPv Tuesday, June 19, 2012 8:49 PM
    Monday, June 18, 2012 8:27 AM
  • BRPv it's Microsoft's mess they can clean it up.  Call 1-800-Microsoft if you are still having issues and state you have issues with KB2720211.  If you have any issues getting a free call, email me at susan-at-msmvps.com
    • Marked as answer by BRPv Wednesday, July 04, 2012 3:06 AM
    Wednesday, June 27, 2012 7:44 PM

All replies

• Does Susan's blog post help...

--
    Merv  Porter   [SBS-MVP]
    ============================
    Saturday, June 16, 2012 10:17 PM
  • No, I found that one early-on but it didn't help.  I've looked through MWusSetup.log and don't find a smoking gun.  MWusCa.log  contains the following near the end...

---------------

Creating TVF PUBLIC_VIEWS.fnUpdateInstallationStateMap
      Changed database context to 'SUSDB'.
      Starting WSUSService...
      WSUSService is now started.
      StartServer completed successfully.
      Msg 945, Level 14, State 2, Server \\.\pipe\MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE\sql\query,  Line 1
      Database 'SUSDB' cannot be opened due to inaccessible files or insufficient memory or disk space.  See the SQL Server errorlog   for details.
      Starting WSUSService...
      Msg 945, Level 14, State 2, Server \\.\pipe\MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE\sql\query,  Line 1
      Database 'SUSDB' cannot be opened due to inaccessible files or insufficient memory or disk space.  See the SQL Server errorlog  for details.
      Starting WSUSService...
      Database 'SUSDB' cannot be opened due to inaccessible files or insufficient memory or disk space.  See the SQL Server errorlog for details.
      Starting WSUSService...
      Msg 5120, Level 16, State 101, Server \\.\pipe\MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE\sql\query,  Line 1
      Unable to open the physical file "d:\WSUS\\UpdateServicesDbFiles\SUSDB.mdf". Operating system error 5: "5(Access is denied.)".Msg 5120, Level 16, State 101, Server \\.\pipe\MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE\sql\query,  Line 1
      Unable to open the physical file "d:\WSUS\\UpdateServicesDbFiles\SUSDB_log.ldf". Operating system error 5: "5(Access is  denied.)".Msg 945, Level 14, State 2, Server \\.\pipe\MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE\sql\query,  Line 1
      Database 'SUSDB' cannot be opened due to inaccessible files or insufficient memory or disk space.  See the SQL Server errorlog for details.Msg 5111, Level 0, State 9, Server \\.\pipe\MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE\sql\query,  Line 1
      File activation failure. The physical file name "d:\WSUS\\UpdateServicesDbFiles\SUSDB_log.ldf" may be incorrect.
      Starting WSUSService...
    ---------

I downloaded and installed SQL Server Management Studio Express (the 2005 version) but it cannot connect to the ##SSEE server pipe either.

The DBs are there.  They're "virginal" copies from backups.  WSUS can't connect to 'em, and neither can SQL Server Management Studio Express.

I'm plumb lost. 

Saturday, June 16, 2012 10:42 PM
  • How about part two?

--
    Merv  Porter   [SBS-MVP]
    Saturday, June 16, 2012 10:59 PM
  • I'm not sure whether Susan has chosen not to update her blog with this information or whether her dilly-dallyance cruising the ocean is to blame.

I have also not tested this solution on SBS. (I haven't yet encountered the problem)

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/winserverwsus/thread/e918a191-ef6d-4c4b-b83a-7a4ae20a5217 has a solution.

Sunday, June 17, 2012 12:24 AM
  • Merv, I don't have 2008 so I can't do what part two says.

There is a configuration tool called "SQL Server Error and Usage Reporting" in SBS 2005.  However, when I try to open it, I don't get a window at all.  Nothing seems to happen.  The program name is: SqlWtsn.exe.  But nothing happens.

I don't know how to look at single/multi-user properties with what I have.

I've downloaded the 2008 version plus a bunch of its prereqs.  But it'll take me awhile to do any of this.  NTBACKUP is running right now and has about 2.4 hrs to go.

Sunday, June 17, 2012 12:45 AM
  • I'm wondering if uninstalling WSUS and then reinstalling is your best bet at this point...

How to manually remove all of WSUS
    Moving the WSUS database back to the C: drive may be recommended before you try the uninstall.

--
    Merv  Porter   [SBS-MVP]
    Sunday, June 17, 2012 1:48 PM
  • This one hit me as well.

To be able to remove WSUS installation, you need to set the wYukonInstalled registry key to 0 first as stated in Susans blog http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/archive/2012/06/12/kb2720211-issues.aspx. Then uninstall WSUS, but do not check the database uninstall at this point.

To uninstall the SSEE database and instance, you need to run MsiExec.exe /X{CEB5780F-1A70-44A9-850F-DE6C4F6AA8FB} CALLERID=OCSETUP.EXE

After that you can install WSUS from the fresh. I however ended up installing SQL2008R2 Express with tools instead of SSEE (instance name WSUS, integrated authentication, default settings) to be able to better control the database in the future. You select that instance name then during WSUS install.

Sunday, June 17, 2012 3:06 PM
  • How are you getting on with this problem?  What have you tried?

I had exactly the same problem, but luckily discovered it on my test SBS 2003 server.  I got around this by downloading the WSUS SP2 KB update and installing manually.  It fixed the test server and all is well.

On my SBS 2003 clients, I then installed all the monthly updates *except* the WSUS update, and then rebooted, and then installed the downloaded WSUS update manually, and then rebooted again.  No problems to report.

It sound like your WSUS db has gone AWOL?  Can you explain more on that?

Cheers,  Duncan.

Sunday, June 17, 2012 4:52 PM
  • Merv, I think you're probably right.

I have the sp2 installer and I'm tired of trying "stuff" that doesn't work.

There are apparently "Permissions" problems with the DB.  I can "connect" to the named pipe from SQL 2005 Express Admin and query the pipe.  However, there are almost no permissions granted.  The only grantor is "sa" (whatever that is).  There are very few accounts with any permissions at all.  About the only permission granted (by "sa") is "Connect SQL".  "Public" can "View any database".  That's about it.  I have no idea what "permissions" are supposed to be granted to whom.  Microsoft SQL is a total mystery to me as I'm not a developer and I relied on WSUS to install its own DB support (Windows Internal Database).  WSUS has been running for over two years on my server and nothing like this has ever happened before.  The "smoking gun" is KB2720211.  It's the only update WSUS installed in that cycle and the installation failed.  WSUS hasn't run since.  I have some backup SUSDB's from a couple of weeks ago and I suppose they are better than starting over again from scratch.

Now, I'm going to try to get all my duck in a row.  I do have SQL Server 2008 Standard on DVD but I try not to install stuff I don't really understand.  I have installed SQL 2005 Express Admin but I'm thinking it should be relatively easy to remove.

What think you?

Sunday, June 17, 2012 6:30 PM
  • As I explained to Merv, I know next to nothing about Microsoft SQL so I'm not sure if you're talking about installing the Express Administrator or the entire SQL Server 2008 product.  Can you elaborate a bit please?
    Sunday, June 17, 2012 6:32 PM
  • Hi Duncan!

I think I've tried every subterfuge and hack that has been offered on several forums without success.  I've restored good DB's from backup, I've reinstalled 2720211 manually (it won't do that any more) and so forth.  I've not been able to look at "Protocols" for the named pipe either so I can't do anything about that.  I have been able to see that the pipe allows unlimited connections but that's about it.

I've just about decided to follow Merv's advice and try to re-install WSUS from scratch and use a backup database from a couple of weeks ago, WITHOUT allowing 2720211 to install.  For me, it's pure poison.  I trusted WSUS to be able to decide how to update itself but clearly, my trust was misplaced.  I find WSUS to be an "un-friendly" kind of "product" anyway.  Predicting when it will deploy an approved update is an undecidable problem, save that it will choose the time when inconvenience is maximized.  A 22-hour window is really not useful -- I get better windows than that from Terminix and AT&T!  It's clear why they don't try to sell this thing.

Anyway, I'm making plans to re-install and get back to productive work.  I've spent far too much time on this problem.

Thanks for the help.

Sunday, June 17, 2012 6:43 PM
  • I don't think I'd install any SQL Express or other SQL server product at this time.  I'd probably back everything up and try an uninstall/reinstall of WSUS.  I'd try the following uninstall procedure first since it look less aggressive than the one I listed in my previous post.  You can allows use that one if the less aggressive approach doesn't work.

First setting the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Update Services\Server\Setup\wYukonInstalled to 0 may also be a good idea.

How to Uninstall WSUS 3.0 SP2 and Its Related Components
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd939818(v=ws.10).aspx

--
    Merv  Porter   [SBS-MVP]
    Sunday, June 17, 2012 6:43 PM
  • I don't think I'd install any SQL Express or other SQL server product at this time.  I'd probably back everything up and try an uninstall/reinstall of WSUS.  I'd try the following uninstall procedure first since it look less aggressive than the one I listed in my previous post.  You can allows use that one if the less aggressive approach doesn't work.

First setting the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Update Services\Server\Setup\wYukonInstalled to 0 may also be a good idea.

How to Uninstall WSUS 3.0 SP2 and Its Related Components
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd939818(v=ws.10).aspx

--
    Merv  Porter   [SBS-MVP]

Merv, I presume you do NOT recommend uninstalling the Windows Internal Database?  Might this not cause problems with SBSMonitoring and Sharepoint?

Sunday, June 17, 2012 6:53 PM
  • Merv, I'm not able to install WSUS 3.0 SP2.  There are several issues:

a) Complains that the database is not compatible;

b) Complains that there's a problem with the installer - some program terminated badly;

I conclude that the original update (KB2720211) must have done an update to ##SSEE and that new version is not compatible with the previous SUSDB files I restored from backup. 

I also conclude that the uninstall for WSUS didn't really uninstall everything.

I looked at it with MSICUU2 but didn't see anything I could remove that way.

I'm now going to prowl around in the registry and see what is left of WSUS.

Sunday, June 17, 2012 10:01 PM
  • Correct... I would not uninstall Windows Internal Database at this point (although you might want to stop the Windows Internal Database service before you start the uninstall).  At this point, I would use the least aggressive approach to uninstall/reinstall WSUS.

--
    Merv  Porter   [SBS-MVP]
    Sunday, June 17, 2012 10:21 PM
  • Set "wYukonInstalled to 0" in the registry and then download and try to install WSUS 3.0 SP2 x86...

Windows Server Update Services 3.0 SP2

It may ask to uninstall WSUS (which is what you want).

--
    Merv  Porter   [SBS-MVP]
    Sunday, June 17, 2012 10:27 PM
  • Set "wYukonInstalled to 0" in the registry and then download and try to install WSUS 3.0 SP2 x86...

Windows Server Update Services 3.0 SP2

It may ask to uninstall WSUS (which is what you want).

--
    Merv  Porter   [SBS-MVP]

Merv,

I'm trying to install WSUS3.0 SP2 from a download.  It's WSUS30-KB972455-x86.exe.  It fails.

Turning off that Registry field didn't help.

I've looked at the log files and what I find in the WSUSCA... log suggests that the installer is trying to use an expired certificate.

This is something I can't imagine how to solve.  I can post exerpts of the log files if they'd help.

Thanks,

-Bill

Monday, June 18, 2012 12:35 AM
  • It looks to be getting worse by the minute, but at this point I might try installing SQL Express 2008 Management Studio:

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Management Studio Express
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=7593

Then use the following (translated) post to try to reinstall  KB2720211...

Have a full backup of your server first, you may be looking at a reinstall from that backup if things go south.

--
    Merv  Porter   [SBS-MVP]
    Monday, June 18, 2012 1:43 AM
  • If you don't want to spend any more time in trying to resolve the issue, but just start fresh and get a working WSUS, I would suggest you do the following:

1) Set the wYukonInstalled registry key to 0 as described elsewhere in this thread

2) From add/remove programs, uninstall WSUS. Do not select the database for removal.

3) Download WSUS 3.0 SP2 installation package

4a) Either uninstall the Windows Internal database for WSUS with MsiExec.exe /X{CEB5780F-1A70-44A9-850F-DE6C4F6AA8FB} CALLERID=OCSETUP.EXE

or

4b) Download and install SQL 2008R2 Express edition with tools. Select 32-bit for 2003. Install to a directory you like. Install a named instance "WSUS", integrated authentication

5a) Install WSUS. If you removed the internal database, select to install it now again.

or

5b) Install WSUS. If you installed SQL 2008R2 Express, select the previously installed SQL instance called WSUS.

Syncronize and configure WSUS normally, and approve updates as needed.

Following the b) option will give you better control over the database in the future. Sharepoint and monitoring do not use the internal database, only WSUS.

Always make sure you have a working backup before doing major installations to a server.

• Marked as answer by BRPv Tuesday, June 19, 2012 8:49 PM
    Monday, June 18, 2012 8:27 AM
  • It looks to be getting worse by the minute, but at this point I might try installing SQL Express 2008 Management Studio:

Have a full backup of your server first, you may be looking at a reinstall from that backup if things go south.

--
    Merv  Porter   [SBS-MVP]

Merv,

I finally gave up and uninstalled WSUS & WID. 

To do this, I went to HKLM_SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Update Services\Server\Setup and changed mYukonInstalled to "0".

I then stopped the "Update Services" and the "Windows Internal Database" services.

I also had to restore "WSUSSignDb.cer", and "WSUSSignDb.dll" from backup copies into
              C:\WINDOWS\SYSMSI\SSEE\MSSQL.2005\MSSQL\SchemaSig.

I then uninstalled Windows Internal Database followed by WSUS 3.0 SP2.

This left me with something like a blank slate.

I then Installed WSUS 3.0 SP2 from WSUS30-KB972455-x86.exe.

It worked.

I then attempted to restore the WSUS folder from backups made by NTBACKUP.

I was unable to connect to this database, even after the IIS Recycle and WSUSUTIL Reset.

So, I repeated the above and now I have a WSUS 3.0 SP2 that starts.  I've not yet been able to remember how to add computers to the groups (it's been that long) but I'm probably on the road to recovery -- after a fashion.

When I do the first Sync, it's going to be a monster.  I also need to figure out how to get the products I'm actually running added to the list of products that WSUS supports.

Anyway, when all else fails, the above procedure works.

Thanks to Microsoft for distributing a bad update that cost me at least a week.

And thanks to everyone who shared their experiences and tried to help.

• Marked as answer by BRPv Tuesday, June 19, 2012 8:43 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by BRPv Wednesday, June 20, 2012 8:09 PM
    Tuesday, June 19, 2012 8:42 PM
  • 4b) Download and install SQL 2008R2 Express edition with tools. Select 32-bit for 2003. Install to a directory you like. Install a named instance "WSUS", integrated authentication

I looked at this but was intimidated by the install options.  It looked to me as if I'd be installing something other than the Management Studio.  I wanted to stay with Windows Internal Database but use SQL 2008 Management Studio Express but I never did find an installer for only the Management Studio Express.  I found several downloads that "claimed" to be that thing but they wound up looking like something else entirely.

I did adapt your uninstall instructions to my situation (SBS 2003 SP2) and they worked fine.  Thanks.

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 8:49 PM

--
    Merv  Porter   [SBS-MVP]

Merv,

I finally gave up and uninstalled WSUS & WID. 

To do this, I went to HKLM_SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Update Services\Server\Setup and changed mYukonInstalled to "0".

I then stopped the "Update Services" and the "Windows Internal Database" services.

I also had to restore "WSUSSignDb.cer", and "WSUSSignDb.dll" from backup copies into
              C:\WINDOWS\SYSMSI\SSEE\MSSQL.2005\MSSQL\SchemaSig.

I then uninstalled Windows Internal Database followed by WSUS 3.0 SP2.

This left me with something like a blank slate.

I then Installed WSUS 3.0 SP2 from WSUS30-KB972455-x86.exe.

It worked.

I then attempted to restore the WSUS folder from backups made by NTBACKUP.

I was unable to connect to this database, even after the IIS Recycle and WSUSUTIL Reset.

So, I repeated the above and now I have a WSUS 3.0 SP2 that starts.  I've not yet been able to remember how to add computers to the groups (it's been that long) but I'm probably on the road to recovery -- after a fashion.

When I do the first Sync, it's going to be a monster.  I also need to figure out how to get the products I'm actually running added to the list of products that WSUS supports.

Anyway, when all else fails, the above procedure works.

Thanks to Microsoft for distributing a bad update that cost me at least a week.

And thanks to everyone who shared their experiences and tried to help.

Looks like my celebration was premature.

WSUS has performed two (2) Synchronizations with no logged errors.

However, although WSUS can "see" computers, NONE of them can connect to WSUS.

Not even the WSUS Server can connect to WSUS.

Thus, WSUS has no status from any of the computers visible to it.

I've RECYCLED WSUS on the IIS Application pool.

I've sent wuauclt /resetauthorization from every PC including the server.

WSUS Web Test produces a 404 error.

Clearly, something is wrong with the IIS part but I'm clueless about what to do.

Anyone know what I should do to get this puppy working?

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 8:15 PM
  • Not sure... maybe check your WSUS default settings:

Update Services in SBS 2008

--
    Merv  Porter   [SBS-MVP]
    Wednesday, June 20, 2012 10:43 PM
  • Has anyone else successfully uninstalled or reinstalled WSUS?  When I uninstall, I read not to remove the old internal database.  Then when I reinstall it says the database is incompatible so I need to create a new one.  I just want this installed and the 33002 errors to go away.

Monday, June 25, 2012 3:51 PM
  • Is Microsoft planning to help us fix this?
    Tuesday, June 26, 2012 10:22 AM
  • Susan Bradley (thank you Susan!) has posted about this again with specific instructions on how she installed the patch:

http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/archive/2012/06/24/patching-wsus.aspx

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 10:39 AM
  • James mate, with all due respect, that's already been posted - INSTALL IT MANUALLY (that's the guts of it.  The manual install instructions provide all the info on doing that in the KB text - and I doubt there's any need to do a WSUS cleanup wizard (I've updated 4 SBS 2003 servers just following the KB text).  I *did* optimise the WSUS db though - I just find WSUS works a lot better when it's console needs opening for looking at, or any maintenance needs doing)). 

The fifth server I updated, was actually the first one - my testbed one (not many of us probably have the luxury of such).  That was the one that failed - of course - as I just did the updates, just like BRPv did (the OP) - and it all turned to custard.  The subsequent manual install sorted me out - but not the OP, and he's still not got this sorted.  (I wonder how many others are in this boat).

So... as jkm005 points out, and asks - is Microsoft going to fix this (we *expect* a yes, huh???) and when.

*I'd* like to know how they failed to pick this up in their regression testing!@#@!???  But I guess that aint gonna be forthcoming.

This is poor stuff from MS!

To BRPv... it sounds like you have WSUS removed, and now having problems getting it back on.  I guess you're wondering if it's worth it! :)  How many PC's on the network?  If it's not too many, or your internet is cheap :) - I'd be very tempted to leave it (uninstalled).  I found this cool free patch utility a month or two back - supports domain based install to workstations (instructions on the site), and patches a whole bunch of commonly loaded third-party apps too (eg Adobe Reader, Java, Flash etc etc).

http://www.patchmypc.net

It's just an idea, if you've had a guts full of your WSUS problems :) - I can tell you in advance though, that if you run SBS 2003 Premium w' ISA installed - I've yet to get it to work with ISA Server.  (Feel free to test it on any workstation).  Brilliant wee thing, IMO.

Cheers, Duncan.

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 1:38 PM
  • Yes... just thought it would help...
    Tuesday, June 26, 2012 2:30 PM
  • So... as jkm005 points out, and asks - is Microsoft going to fix this (we *expect* a yes, huh???) and when.

Somehow, I rather doubt it.  (I gather it's all Bush's fault.)

*I'd* like to know how they failed to pick this up in their regression testing!@#@!???  But I guess that aint gonna be forthcoming.

This is poor stuff from MS!

To BRPv... it sounds like you have WSUS removed, and now having problems getting it back on.  I guess you're wondering if it's worth it! :)  How many PC's on the network?  If it's not too many, or your internet is cheap :) - I'd be very tempted to leave it (uninstalled).  I found this cool free patch utility a month or two back - supports domain based install to workstations (instructions on the site), and patches a whole bunch of commonly loaded third-party apps too (eg Adobe Reader, Java, Flash etc etc).

http://www.patchmypc.net

It's just an idea, if you've had a guts full of your WSUS problems :) - I can tell you in advance though, that if you run SBS 2003 Premium w' ISA installed - I've yet to get it to work with ISA Server.  (Feel free to test it on any workstation).  Brilliant wee thing, IMO.

Cheers, Duncan.

Duncan, after much travail, I've managed to get WSUS3.0SP2 re-installed along with Windows Internal Database.  It appears to be running -- after a fashion.  I also downloaded and installed SQL 2008 Management Studio and it helps a bunch.  I've even recovered my databases from backup.  I have NO intention of trying to install KB2720211 until I'm certain WSUS runs like it did BEFORE I tried the update and that I can undo the damage more easily than previously.

The real problem I'm now having is that none of the clients seem to be able to contact WSUS inviting updates. 
    I'm not seeing error logs nor am I seeing error messages.  Things seem to be nominal.

I'm about halfway convinced it's a problem with IIS -- i.e., that IIS is eating up the solicitations and that WSUS is unaware that its clients have status to report.

WSUS is installed on my SBS 2003 SP2 machine.  So, it's a PDC.  (It's NOT running ISA.  I'd really be amazed to see SBS 2003 Premium with ISA actually installed and running; in my experience, that's like an oxymoron.)  At any rate, even THIS machine cannot contact WSUS to report its status.  It's been 16 days now -- soon to be 17.

The post at---
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/sus/archive/2012/06/20/wsus-kb272011-common-issues-encountered-and-how-to-fix-them.aspx

contains:

Hi everyone, Joao Madureira here. During the course of this week
    Issue 2 : Website Verifications are not accurate. The problem is currently under investigation and the workaround is to temporarily disable the website verification with wsusutil. WSUS is working fine, it synchronizes and updates clients. The mechanism to verify the websites is the one alerting on Event viewer. Open a command prompt and navigate to C:\program files\update services\tools You can save the following text below to a batch file or run the following commands to stop verifying the websites: wsusutil HealthMonitoring CheckSelfUpdate off
    wsusutil HealthMonitoring CheckReportingWebService off
    wsusutil HealthMonitoring CheckApiRemotingWebService off
    wsusutil HealthMonitoring CheckServerSyncWebService off
    wsusutil HealthMonitoring CheckClientWebService off
    wsusutil HealthMonitoring CheckSimpleAuthWebService off
    wsusutil HealthMonitoring CheckDssAuthWebService off

After running it, you will have to restart the WSUS service. If you are still at the command prompt,
    you can simply do a net stop wsusservice && net start wsusservice

OK, the question is:  "Is this what I'm looking for?"  I really don't understand what problem it seems to be trying to solve.

Or, does anyone else have a pertinent suggestion?
    (In case I haven't made this clear, IIS and SQL are not really my thing.)

Thanks...

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 4:45 AM
  • I got my WSUS up again finaly.. Removed Internal Database feature og WSUS role. Applied both again - and after that I was able to install KB2720211. Then clients where able to contact WSUS again.. Happy days... But pls Microsoft, test your sh.. before publishing it...
    Wednesday, June 27, 2012 5:56 AM
  • BRPv it's Microsoft's mess they can clean it up.  Call 1-800-Microsoft if you are still having issues and state you have issues with KB2720211.  If you have any issues getting a free call, email me at susan-at-msmvps.com
    • Marked as answer by BRPv Wednesday, July 04, 2012 3:06 AM
    Wednesday, June 27, 2012 7:44 PM

Thanks Susan, I'll do that because I'm still not able to service my client workstations.

Appreciate the tip...

BRPv

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 7:47 PM

Susan, did that and it's looking better. Took awhile but looks like real progress.

Will take several hours to be sure but at least it's applying updates to the server now and all the clients have finally checked in with WSUS. 

Have a great day,

BRPv

Wednesday, July 04, 2012 3:09 AM