none
Cannot refresh table - test connection works fine but refresh gives "We couldn’t refresh the connection. Please go to existing connections and verify they connect to the file or server." error.

Question

• I'm having some difficulty updating a table in my powerpivot data model. The data for the table is stored in a local excel file; if I go to Existing Connections select the connection and do a test then everything is successful. When however I try to refresh that particular table I get the following error:

"We couldn’t refresh the connection. Please go to existing connections and verify they connect to the file or server."

In the past I had this and it was an authentication issue, the files are stored on SharePoint and I wasn't logged in to Sharepoint - I have however checked this and it can't be the issue because I have other tables linked to other excel files in the same location that are refreshing without issue. Can anyone think of what may be causing it?

I have even tried creating a new local excel with the same data, added it to the data model and then tried a refresh and I I get exactly the same issue. 

Are there any known issues with refreshing data from an Excel file if, after the initial import, you add columns to the table in the excel file I was wondering if this might contribute?

Thanks

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 8:12 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Maracles,

Thanks for your post.

From your description, I tried to reproduce this issue on my test environment. However, everything is fine for me. Could you please post the specific version of SQL Server PowerPivot for Excel?

You can try to use a trace file to troubleshoot errors in PowerPivot. If this issue still persists, please try to reinstall SQL Server PowerPivot for Excel to see if this helps.

For more information, please see:
    PowerPivot Options & Diagnostics Dialog Box: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg399091.aspx
    Using a Trace File to Troubleshoot Errors in PowerPivot: http://www.sqlchick.com/entries/tag/powerpivot

Best Regards,  

Elvis Long
    TechNet Community Support

Sunday, July 28, 2013 1:52 AM
  • I had similar problem. The error message is misleading and it is happening due to using wrong table name or you dropped some table which is referring in SQL query / view /stored  procedures.   I troubleshoot it and fixed it. Please follow the following steps.

1. Refresh each sheet manually without using refresh all option. By doing this you will find exactly which sheet has issue in refreshing.

Once you get the error while refresh, try to execute Sql script or stored procedure and fix the issue.

Once you have fixed the issue, You can use refresh all option and it should work without any issue.

Thanks,

Sanjay Singh

• Proposed as answer by ashmueli Thursday, November 14, 2013 8:41 PM
    Sunday, August 25, 2013 11:23 PM
  • Hi Maracles,

Take a look at the source data, if your spreadsheet or database table is empty, you will get this error message.

Chuy Rojas (MCP)

Wednesday, December 04, 2013 8:14 PM