none
Broken Services and File Sharing Problems

Question

• Hi All,

I have a SBS 2011 server which has recently developed some odd issues which I can't seem to find the answer to and I was hoping someone might be able to help.  The obvious symptoms are that VSS is not working so the backup software is failing and file sharing is working, but I am unable to create new shares.

Having looked into this I found that the Windows Firewall and Base Filtering Engine services were missing and posts I had read indicated that this could be related to the problem.  I followed the instructions for re-instating these, and there was some success in that the error messages in the event log at least changed.

I am now faced with the following messages in the event log on rebooting.

I get a warning 1014, source DNS Client Events.  The messages is Name resolution for the name _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.atherton.local timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.

I don't know whether this is relevant to the issue or not but as it's the first thing I come across I thought I would include it.

Next is an error for NETLOGON with an ID of 5706.  The message is 

The Netlogon service could not create server share C:\Windows\sysvol\sysvol.  The following error occurred: 
    Incorrect function.

Followed by another one for the C:\Windows\sysvol\sysvol\atherton.local\SCRIPTS share.

I also get another error with the ID 7023 from the service control manager.  The message is 

The Network Policy Server service terminated with the following error: 
    %%-2147024846

If I try to start the network policy server, I get an error which says "Windows could not start the Network Policy Server service on Local Computer.  Error 0x80070032: The request is not supported".

I get another error from the Service Control Manager, this is ID 7031. The message is The Update Services service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).  The following corrective action will be taken in 300000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

I get this 3 times when it gives up trying to restart it.

I've tried searching around for answers to this, but I'm coming up short.

If anyone could suggest a solution I would be very grateful as I'd prefer to not have to re-install this box.

Many thanks in advance,

Neil.

Friday, November 15, 2013 3:49 PM

Answers

All replies

• Can you post an IPCONFIG /All from the server?

Can you go into the Sharepoint PowerShell Tool and run this..

(get-spserver $env:computername).NeedsUpgrade
    What is the result?

Robert Pearman SBS MVP
    itauthority.co.uk | Title(Required)
    Facebook | Twitter | Linked in | Google+

Friday, November 15, 2013 4:56 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting in the forum.

Before going further, please first provide the information RobertPearman requested before for further research. Based on your description, since you mentioned SBS 2011 backup fails due to VSS error, I suggest you could try to refer to the following article to fix it.

Seeing VSS errors?

http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/archive/2007/05/27/seeing-vss-errors.aspx

Troubleshoot VSS issues that occur with Windows Server Backup (WBADMIN) in Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee692290(WS.10).aspx

If it could not work, please provide us the detailed information about the SBS backup failure.

Regarding the Event 1014 error, it may be caused by one of the following factors.

-  TCP/IP Offload is enabled for a network adapter

-  TCP/IP v6 is enabled and their ISP does not yet support TCP/IP v6.

-  The spanning tree “portfast" setting is not enabled on your servers switch ports.

-  Router and PC communicating on different channel or standard.

You could try to refer to the following article to troubleshoot it.

Event ID 1014: Microsoft Windows DNS Client

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/3336.event-id-1014-microsoft-windows-dns-client.aspx

Regarding the Event 5706 error, please try to refer to the following articles to see if they could help.

Event ID 5706 — Netlogon Share Creation

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd941838(v=ws.10).aspx

Event ID: 5706 Source: NETLOGON

http://eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=5706&eventno=523&source=NETLOGON&phase=1

Regarding the Event 7023 and 7031 error, please refer to the following articles.

Event ID 7023 — Service Stop Operations

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc756318(v=ws.10).aspx

Event ID 7031 — Service Stop Operations

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc756337(v=ws.10).aspx

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Andy Qi

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Andy Qi
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, November 18, 2013 9:51 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the replies so far. 

As requested Robert the IP Config result is below, and the result from your other question is true.  The plot thickened a little on Friday though as it all still seemed very suspicious to me so I ran another piece of anti virus software on the server (it currently has AVG installed) and oddly enough it wasn't until the second piece of AV software touched the files, that AVG popped up and told me that there was a virus on the machine.  The virus in question was crypt_s.emr. I'm not sure where this appeared from as the people on site are promising me that they haven't touched the server.  At this point AVG decided it would clean it up.  I am left with a directory structure that I can't remove, because of the odd Unicode characters in it.  I can find plenty of articles explaining that it is an RLO character causing the problem, but nothing that tells me how to get rid of it.  Also there is a key structure in the registry I cannot remove as I don't have the permissions, this is the gupdate service.  I have removed the guts of it so that it is no longer shown as a service, at least but will need to find a way to remove the full key structure before I am happy with it.

I have been through the services, comparing them with another SBS 2011 server I had and found several more which were missing and re-instated them.  This has done away with the NETLOGON errors, VSS is now working which is a result, though I still get the Network Protection Service crashes.  I will go through the links that Andy kindly provided and see how I get on with these.

Many thanks guys,

Neil.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : ATHERTONSRV1
       Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . : atherton.local
       Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
       IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
       WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
       DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : atherton.local

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
       Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom BCM5716C NetXtreme II GigE (NDIS VBD Client) #35
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : D4-AE-52-66-D0-F5
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
       Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom BCM5716C NetXtreme II GigE (NDIS VBD Client) #33
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : D4-AE-52-66-D0-F4
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
       Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::4543:f5d9:8577:a81f%10(Preferred)
       Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::d505:9586:b58e:7432%10(Preferred)
       IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1(Preferred)
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.253
       DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 248819282
       DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-16-A8-42-53-D4-AE-52-66-D0-F4
       DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::d505:9586:b58e:7432%10
       NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.{73AB93D6-59AA-4DF8-96D3-50254735E173}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0

Tunnel adapter isatap.{071B4C1A-77E9-4A1E-B46C-5DB057C3222E}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Monday, November 18, 2013 3:54 PM
  • If the result is true, you must run the PSConfig command to finalise the Sharepoint updates.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2011/05/24/you-must-manually-run-psconfig-after-installing-sharepoint-2010-patches.aspx

http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/archive/2011/12/16/always-remember-to-psconfig-it.aspx

http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/archive/2011/06/30/remember-you-must-run-psconfig-after-sharepoint-sp1-is-installed.aspx

Robert Pearman SBS MVP

Monday, November 18, 2013 4:17 PM
  • Also, try:

dir /x on the directory containing the folder you cannot delete, it should give you a better idea of the directory name.

Robert Pearman SBS MVP

Monday, November 18, 2013 4:18 PM
  • Hi,

Any update?

Just checking in to see if the suggestions were helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Andy Qi

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Andy Qi
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 3:42 AM