none
Edit Excel workbook used as PowerPivot source data?

Question

• Hi,

I'm new to PowerPivot and want to use an Excel workbook as the source data (I don't want to link it). I know when you do this, the workbook is not visible in PowerPivot. However, the workbook data is also not visible when I open it in Excel. How can I open and edit this workbook in Excel?

Thanks, 

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 12:25 PM

Answers

• Hi,

According to your description, I suppose there are some error in your  data source Excel file.

Did the data in the Excel file all disappear? Did you repair the Execl file?

Did the Excel file size turn zero?

I recommend we check the Excel file.

Regards,

George Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, September 20, 2013 1:35 AM

All replies

• Hi,

To your description, I think the PowerPivot is used to analysis the data. Thus, the data in PowerPivot can not edit and if you want to edit the data, we should edit the data in the source Excel workbook.

After that we may refresh the data in PowerPivot, please refer to the following picture:

Following that, we create PivotTable to analysis the data.

If you need more information about  PivotTable, here are some videos:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/bi/powerpivot.aspx

Regards,

George Zhao

Thursday, September 19, 2013 2:44 AM
  • Thanks, but when I open the source Excel workbook without launching PowerPivot the data is invisible. So I can't edit the source data in Excel.

Regards,

Thursday, September 19, 2013 8:50 AM
  • Hi,

According to your description, I suppose there are some error in your  data source Excel file.

Did the data in the Excel file all disappear? Did you repair the Execl file?

Did the Excel file size turn zero?

I recommend we check the Excel file.

Regards,

George Zhao

Friday, September 20, 2013 1:35 AM